Wedding Cake Help???

Decorating By anastasien Updated 18 May 2010 , 7:08pm by denetteb

anastasien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anastasien Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend and she wants it to feed about 100 people and wants it to be 3 tiers, I have never made a wedding cake before so I am a little scared, especially because I have no idea on how to tier a cake. Could someone please help me with this. I don't know what size I should make each layer?? any other help with making a wedding cake would be very much appreciated as she needs it for June 5th. How far a head should I bake the cakes? and help on how to support the cake would also be appreciated.
Thank you

4 replies
KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 5

12",9" and 6" rounds are a nice look to stack on each other.
I usually bake my cakes 1 or 2 days ahead and let them rest overnight ,fill them and ice them the day before the wedding.
I make 3 cakes of each size so that each tier is a good height.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

A 3 tier in the sizes of 6, 9, and 12 inches feeds right at about 100 people. There's lots of information here on how to do a tiered cake and you can always Google it for lots of tutorials. How far in advance you bake depends on how long it will take you to decorate. For me, I bake and freeze at least 2 days before, then torte, fill, and ice the next day, then decorate the day before or day of the wedding. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

anastasien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anastasien Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 5

so after you bake the cakes you let them cool and then freeze them? How long after taking them out of the freezer do you fill and ice them? I will be covering them in fondant as well so how long after I fill and ice should I put on the fondant?

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

Go to Wilton.com and click cakes. A bunch of topics will come up that will answer all your questions, how many servings from the different size pans, how much batter and frosting for each size, how to stack, how to support, etc. Or pick up one of their annual yearbooks at Michaels or wherever you get your cake toys and they have all the info as well. Great to refer to. A great way to search CC for other questions is to go to google and type in your topic followed by cake central. Works great. I would freeze a week or so ahead or whatever works for your schedule, take out and start crumbcoating while if defrosts a day or two before the wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%