Cookies Cut With Cricut Cake

Baking By Sweetpeazmom Updated 24 May 2010 , 5:16pm by luv2bake6

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone used their Cricut Cake to actually cut out Sugar Cookies? If so, how did it work and what settings did you use? There may already be a thread, but I couldn't find it. Thanks

15 replies
herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 16

I was wondering that as well. This would be one of the MAIN reasons that I would purchase the Cricut Cake.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 16

I have not had time to open mine and play with it yet, but the gal that was demonstrating at the store said you could do cookies, but they needed to be thin ( she said 2 nickles stacked on top of each other was the max depth). Anyone else ???

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 16

That's pretty thin for a cookie...

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 16

That's what I thought too...I make pretty thick, soft cookies...don't think I will use cricuit for cookies....she also mentioned cutting tortillas and something else I have forgotten, lol....

Bigbearswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bigbearswife Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 16

I dont have a cricut cake, but I use my regular cricut to cut templets for my sugar cookies, icon_smile.gif I just lay the templet on the cookie dough and cut it out with a very very very sharp knife!

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 16

I haven't tried cookie dough in my Cricut yet (still getting the hang of fondant and gumpaste), I will have to try this if I have time, I do agree that that is a REALLY thin cookie.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 16

I was also wondering about cutting other things, I have heard that you can cut tortillas, I was wondering how you would stick those to the mat. Would shortening work? Has anyone tried this?

AmandasCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandasCustomCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #9 of 16

I used the Cricut to cut out these cookies http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1673053.html just last week. I loved it! I used the large Wilton rolling pin and the largest spacers (3/16" I think). They are a little thinner than usual but they still taste really good. I used the NFSC recipe on this site and Antonia74 Royal Icing recipe. Just make sure to freeze the mat once you have the dough rolled out and then get the Cricut all set up before taking it out. It cuts really well!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 16

dean75 - so you rolled the cookie dough out thin and placed it on the cricut board and it cut the dough?

AmandasCustomCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

dean75 - so you rolled the cookie dough out thin and placed it on the board and it cut the dough?

I actually rolled it out right on the mat and then froze it and it cut the dough perfectly!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #12 of 16

That is amazing! I have enough problems with the gumpaste not tearing or dragging with the blade; wonder how the cookie dough would do. Do you brush shortening onto the mat before rolling out the dough?

AmandasCustomCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:09pm
post #13 of 16

Yeah, it is definitely a learning curve with the machine. I have had great success with Wilton's fondant, it cuts really nicely!

And yes, I put shortening on the mat, it helps it to come off once cut!

luv2bake6 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 16

Do you use the blue blade as well? How thin do you roll out the dough? I am definately intrigued.

AmandasCustomCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 16

Do you mean the blade that comes with the Cricut Cake? Yes, I use that one. I roll the dough out to about 3/16 of an inch, basically as thick as you can get before it won't fit under the roller bar anymore.

Here's some pictures of the apple cookies while being cut and after cut.
LL
LL

luv2bake6 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 16

Holy cow!! That is absolutely amazing!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%