If Not Wire, Than What? Need Help With This Cake Please.

Decorating By bubbles4500 Updated 18 May 2010 , 6:34pm by bashini

bubbles4500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles4500 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone-
I'm going to be making a cake similiar to the one that is attached here. I've read the many posts about using wire in cakes and would like an alternative, but am unsure how to achieve that with this cake. How do I attach the hydrangeas around the bottom of the tiers without using wire? I don't think they're stuck on with royal icing because they stick out too far. I tried contacting the person who made it, but got no response. Please help if you know how I can achieve this look.
Thanks,
Anita
LL

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Anita, I can't see the photo, could you try to attach it again please?

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 6

I can't see the photo, but when I'm doing cakes with lots of flowers I use the straw trick.. Put a drinking straw into the cake where the flowers are to go and put the wire into the drinking straw.. icon_smile.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

I couldn't get the pic to work either, but for small or single flowers I insert them into a coffee stirrer straw. For larger bunches I either use a regular straw or a bubble tea.

bubbles4500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles4500 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 6

Here is the link to the picture...for some reason I couldn't attach it!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1046543

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 6

For the top of the cake, I think she has used a ball of fondant and stuck the flowers on it to look like a dome. And for the flowers to go around the each tier, you can stick a sausage of fondant around the cakes and then stick the flowers on it. No one be able to see that because of the flowers. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%