Mmf With 10.5 Ounce Bag Of Mm

Decorating By BeanCountingBaker Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:20pm by all4cake

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 4

I don't know if everyone is having this problem or not, but I can no longer find 16 ounce packages of marshmallows at my local grocery stores. The name brand and store brands are packaging them in smaller packages. Last night I dumped the 10.5 ounce package into my bowl and added 2 additonal cups - one cup didn't look like enough and my husband used my food scale to measure somehting too heavy and I havent' had a chance to replace it. When melted and kneaded with 2lbs of powdered sugar this seemed to be a bit sticky. I am curious if anyone else is having trouble finding 16 ounce packages of marshmallows or how people have experimented with the 10.5 packages.

3 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 4

I use the 10.5 oz bags because I cannot find 16 oz bags either. The ratio I use is 10.5 oz of marshmellows:4 cups powder sugar.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 4

I use two bags of the 10.5 oz and add another tablespoon of water and then when it comes out of the microwave I add the flavoring and coloring and then sift in one box and a half of powdered sugar (3 cups) then turn it out onto my matt and continue to add PS till I get the soft dough I'm looking for. Once you know the feel of finished MMF you will be able to do it by feel. Sometimes it takes a bit more of the PS than 4 cups but usually it's pretty close to that. So 21oz marshmallows, 3 TBS water, flavoring and 4 cups PS. HTH! Cat

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 4

I use 3 of the 10.5 ounce bags and make a double batch(would be double if using the old 16 ounce...minus a half ounce) and hold back some (a smidge) of the powdered sugar when kneading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%