I Am Considering A Concession Trailer In Ga...

Business By Exoticakes Updated 25 May 2010 , 3:29pm by cakelady99

Exoticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Exoticakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:39am
post #1 of 9

I live in DeKalb Co. GA and am so frustrated at the way the laws are written here. icon_mad.gif I would like to know if anyone has ever had a license for either a catering truck or a concession trailer here in GA. What kind of trailer would I have to buy and what vent system???? I am sooo confused! icon_cry.gif I want to get set up for the summer to sell cupcakes in various locations throughout metro Atlanta. THX ALOT CAKERS!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 9

HI! I can't help you with any of the laws, but I can tell you that here in NYC there's a cupcake truck that sends out tweets about where they'll be and what time and they sell out. By the time they arrive people are waiting to buy their goodies.

For more info check out the archives on cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com

Best of luck,

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with the frustration of the laws. I wouldn't do a lot of selling as I mainly due for my grandchildren but it would be nice to know that if someone wants to buy something you could sell it. As far as the trailer, a friend decided to buy and sell hot dogs, etc. and recreational sporting events and had to give it up as the permits, etc. were really high.

Exoticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Exoticakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 9

I have researched this field a little and I want to run this because there is no rent involved etc. But, no one seems to have much of any knowledge of this type of business. There is only one cupcake truck here in Atlanta that I know of and I would like very much to be the second!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 9

I would call the health dept and ask them what you need to do. Then ask them who you can talk to about getting the permits.

Hope this helps.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 9

I can't help you with what the laws are in GA. But here in California even the catering trucks have to be run out of a restaraunt or Bakery. All of the supplies have to be stored in and most of the food prep has to be done in a commercial kitchen and the catering truck has to be licensed to the bakery or restaraunt. Catering vehicles such as taco trucks , lunch wagons, bakery tucks, can not be run from a residence. This really sucks for us here in Cali.

Hope it is different for you in GA.

You can ususlly find out the requirements from your local Health Department.


panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 9

I am quite sure in GA you have to do the baking in a licensed commercial kitchen, even if the selling would be from a concession trailer. Why dont yo call the Department of Agriculture - they are very helpful. Laws are not confusing - they are here for a reason. You just need to find out what yo need to do

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:41am
post #8 of 9

I live here in GA and work from a church kitchen. As was explained to me by the Dept. of Ag in HENRY County, you have to cook from a licensed kitchen (mobile kitchens can be licensed), but you don't have to decorate in the same kitchen.

That might work for you if you wanted to save the money on a truck that can bake and simply bake somewhere and decorate "on the road."

Good luck!

cakelady99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady99 Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 9

Mobile cupcake trucks are not permitted in Georgia. There is a group trying to change the law.http://www.thepetitionsite.com/6/help-legalize-street-food-in-atlanta

Under state law, mobile food units be they trucks, trailers or pushcarts cant roam the streets. Instead, theyre permitted for no more than two specific locations, the better to track them down for surprise health inspections. Also, food must be cooked in a licensed, stationary, commercial-grade kitchen before it goes on the truck or cart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%