How To? Bright Colored Fondant

Baking By lilerintron Updated 18 May 2010 , 10:14pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 12

Is it possible to dye and make your own so they don't look lighter or more on the pastel side of the color wheel? Or is this something that I'd just need to buy pre-made?

I'm looing to do a cake with bright pinks and greens.

Thanks!

11 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 12

Best to color the fondant when you are making it.

lilerintron Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #3 of 12

I do. But I'm looking for like HOT pink and I get pastel pink, and neon or like highlighter green, and I get leaf green.

I'm military overseas at a remote base so my options of buying stuff here are very limited. If there is coloring dye that I can buy online for the BRIGHT colors then I'd like to get that... or just buy in bulk, if need be.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #4 of 12

Bright and deep colors take a lot of coloring. Try Americolor, it can be bought a lot of places online.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:11am
post #5 of 12

Yes, you can get there as Ballymena said...it can just take for-freakin-ever and be very frustrating as you keep squeezing in that paste and arriving STILL at "pastel" icon_mad.gif. But just keep at it and you'll get it.

For hot pink I used Americolor's "Electric pink."

lilerintron Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:44am
post #6 of 12

Awesome! Thanks guys.. I'll order some of that coloring then.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 12

I had no problems getting my MMF to be bright color's for my daughter's birthday cake with wilton colors (colors are in my photos if you want to see the exact colors). I hand-kneaded the colors in after the fondant had time to sit overnight - had no problems whatsoever. I used Edna's MMF recipe.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 12

We use the line of Americolor Electrics and let the fondant sit overnight for the colors to intensify.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 12

I tried something new yesterday and added the color to the melted marshmallow before pouring the marshmallows onto the powdered sugar. I needed to make a lot of black for accents on a wedding cake so I made the whole batch black. It worked like a charm! I used nearly a whole jar of wilton's black. I haven't read anything that suggests there would be a problem with adding the color in this way.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanCountingBaker

I tried something new yesterday and added the color to the melted marshmallow before pouring the marshmallows onto the powdered sugar. I needed to make a lot of black for accents on a wedding cake so I made the whole batch black. It worked like a charm! I used nearly a whole jar of wilton's black. I haven't read anything that suggests there would be a problem with adding the color in this way.

Nope, no problems, in fact that is a great way of adding color (and I think what Ballymena meant when suggesting to add color "when you make it.")

If you use a recipe for fondant that includes glycerin, keep in mind that adding tons of color (for black, for example) means you should reduce the glycerin by that amount.

lilerintron Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks so much goes guys! I'm going to do some practice batches so I can figure out about how much color to use!

Thanks again for all the help.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 12

I used to use Wilton colours. Ahhh! What a nightmare. Then I switched to Americolor - they are wonderful! Take a look at my pictures. The cake that's blue, green, and pink was done with Americolor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%