Can I Halve This Recipe?

Baking By KayMc Updated 18 May 2010 , 11:53pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #1 of 6

I want to try Michele Forster's recipe for fondant, but will want to add colors to the fondant. The instructions say to add color during the cooking stage. Can this recipe be cut in half or even quarters, in order to add different colors to smaller amounts? Has anyone tried this?

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:16am
post #2 of 6

I love this receipe and make it about 3 times a week. I have never halved it though.

I always add my color after it's "cured". It takes color very well. As with any fondant it's just easier to add color to the liquid when making it but it isn't necessary. thumbs_up.gif

I've never had a reason to make only half but I don't see why you couldn't.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #3 of 6

Ditto!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #4 of 6

Why COULDN'T you halve it? icon_confused.gif

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #5 of 6

I'm sure you can cut it in half, I just usually need to triple it.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 6

I was thinking of halving it, so I could make different colors. I'm a hobbyist, not a cake professional, so I don't think I'd use a gazillion full batches in order to get each color on hand.

How difficult is it (physically) to add the color after the batch is made? I have weakness problems in my upper extremities from several herniated cervical disks, so I'm thinking it might be really difficult to knead the color in. Am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong, as the easiest solution would be to make a large batch of white, and color it afterwards. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%