Returning My Cake Cricuit

Lounge By kimmyboo925 Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:36pm by Ursula40

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #1 of 14

I don't have the time to learn how to use it... Someone want to talk me out of this... ???? I got it as a gift from my husband for our anniversary.. but I feel like its going to be alot of work.. learning how use it... storing it... cleaning it.. and rolling out the gumpaste..

13 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #2 of 14

I bought one on HSN's opening night with it, and returned it UNOPENED the day after it arrived. I felt it wasn't worth the time needed to learn it, and I don't like that appearance of cakes decorated w/ the cricut anyway. (you can always tell if a cricut was used in decorating cakes). I think it's an expensive gimmick, and if you're already a cake decorator, I bet you do nicer cakes already, than you could do with the cricut.
PS - I love my cricut Expression for scrapbooking, but that's different.....

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #3 of 14

Leahs has demonstrated that she can do everything a Cake Cricut can with a $5 exacto knife!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Leahs has demonstrated that she can do everything a Cake can with a $5 exacto knife!

One reason I have no desire to own one. icon_smile.gif The other being most of the "cricut cakes" that I've seen look just alike.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 14

That is so sad, I love, love, love, love, love mine!!!!! I am sorry you don't like yours.

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 14

I have seen the pictures of the cakes done with it, and you can clearly tell that it was used to make the decorations. I really don't like the way they look, at all.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:36am
post #7 of 14

I think it's worth it for sure... first thing... it's not that hard once u use it a few times... and I know what mamawrobin means (sorta like when people buy furniture in ikea lol...the minute u se it...u know) but this is good as an not as the main focus for decorating.... just on using it for font alone it;s worth it...

If you keep this in mind (P2 S3) stands for Pressure 2 / Speed 3... as long as you have your setting to this.... you can do anything!!!
roll your paste thin..... freeze (they say for 15-20 min) but I find that 5minutes is long enough.... then load and hit the design/wording/letter/border,,, etc u want and hit cut.... the rest is history...

I saw someone here post this comment which I thought was very true... "it took me quite a few tries before I could successfully cover a cake with fondant.... it's like with anything.. takes some time to get the hang of it... I hope you reconsider and if u need help... there are a lot of people here willing to help (including me...) another one is Jennifer Atwood...she is like the super Pro at Cricut Cake and she is always willing to help and assist anyone needing her help....

I have used it a few times to add to my cake designs..not to solely rely on it to do all your cake art work... and it's worth it for sure....
you can mke cupcake wrappers.... on using it to make for example the damask stencil (the designer set costs 69+) you can make all sorts of designs that will make your cake look like you spent hours pipping scrolls and other RI desings... and it's just a push of a button...

hth icon_smile.gif

BTW. This is someone that had never ever used the cricut.... not the scrapbooking one or anything before... just used the cricut cake for the first time right after mother's day and with no experience was able to use it.... I know you can learn and you will love it!

Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 14

I never used a Cricut before either, and for my cakes, you can definitely tell that I used something to (cut)make the intricate scrolls on the side. Because they are all perfect, everyone of them, all equal, all exactly the same! (Doing the happy dance!!) I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and my piping skills are starting to deteriorate, so a few will look good, but not all. My DDs wedding is coming and I want her cake to be perfect! (as perfect as I have the ability to make it) It is a learning process, I had to get a new mat before I did my first cake, because I practiced so much. But I also went through a ton (a TON) of gum paste, learning how to make flowers before I was happy. Trial & error and Practice, Practice, Practice! I too will answer any questions or help anyone if I can.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 14

I hope you guys post pictures of your cakes made with this! Are you making 3-d flowers with the cricut?

Stephanie40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanie40 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 14

Hey...used mine a million times now with no success. Called to get a return number today. SOOOO frustrated. I've rolled it SUPER thin, medium thin, gum paste, fondant with Tylose, fondant with Gum tex, room temperature, from freezer 5 minutes...ALL with no success. My arms are like rubber now from rolling fondant or gum paste out. I can hardly hold them up! URG! Gets caught up in cutter, crazy un-even cuts, and just simply gets all "gunked-up." I would LOVE to keep this thing because it's gonna cost me like $70 out of pocket to return it (original shipping, new shipping, and 10% re-stocking fee.) Does anyone have any other tricks for me to try so that I can keep it? HELP!! Thanks to any future miracle workers who can save me! icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 14

Stephaine;

I am sorry you are having such a bad experience. I am using straight fondant. I have used Wilton, and Fondarific (nothing added) I brush the mat with Crisco, roll out the fondant to 1/8', put in on the mat, then roll it out to about 1/16' (I can see the circles through it) Then I let it air dry a little until it is a little firm. Pressure medium, speed medium. I am attaching a picture of one of things I cut while practicing. I really hope that helps you!! Good Luck!
LL

amarieholley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarieholley Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 14

Well I have only used mine 2-3 times now and I have had okay success knowing that there is going to be learning curve. I am using gumpaste or gumpaste mixed with a little fondant but I also mix in a bit of cornstarch and dust it in a little cornstarch once it's on the mat. I have not tried putting it in the freezer yet, but I also have not cut really small designs either.

I did ask the lady at our local cake supply store what feedback they were hearing and she said it's not real good. Mostly what a lot of you guys are saying rips/tears and gets gunked up.

One thing I will say though for those people who think all the cakes will look alike is to check out the SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) software. In combination with the free Inkscape software you can import almost any image you, choose from hundreds of fonts, the possibilities are endless. You wont be using the same images over and over from the Critcut Cartridges. I used it the other day to do the John Deere logo...

Go to www.scrappingtable.com for more info and even video tutorials

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 14

I've used gumpaste and fondant and have only gotten a clean cut one time. The most success I ever had with the thing was by using wafer paper. I too think all the Cricut cakes look sort of alike.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #14 of 14

reading posts like this makes me glad I'm not in the States icon_smile.gif

I would wanted the cricut and then might have been in for a dissappointment. Out here, I have the different voltage (220 instead of 110) and also the shipping charges would've doubled the price at least, guess i'll stick to my trusted exacto knife

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%