Allergy Free Icing And Cake Request

Baking By tarheelgirl Updated 19 May 2010 , 1:30am by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 11

For those of you with an allergy to egg, peanut or dairy do you have any great recipes you would like to share? One of my long time customers found out her little one is allergic to egg, peanut and dairy. I'm thinking the icing will be the most challenging.

10 replies
tarheelgirl Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 11

Hi,
I am not sure where you are located but a fellow student has a horrible lactose allergy and she uses nutriwhip for her icing. As to the egg and peanut, I will be trying out a cake for the weekend that is Egg free and I don't use nuts in my products...my family is fasting for a wedding so we are not allowed any meat this week. If you can PM me I will find the recipe and you can try it out as well...maybe even tell me if it is good...lol.
Good luck!!

tarheelgirl Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the recipe! Let me know how it turns out!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 11

many posts on the allergy thing (recipes included)... just get the mum to sign off that she is aware you use those allergens in your kitchen, that although you have cleaned everything, trace may be present on ur equipment/ in the kitchen, and so in the final product, and that you are not liable for any subsequent reaction (although should that footnote be done by lawyers so it holds up.?)
xx

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

many posts on the allergy thing (recipes included)... just get the mum to sign off that she is aware you use those allergens in your kitchen, that although you have cleaned everything, trace may be present on ur equipment/ in the kitchen, and so in the final product, and that you are not liable for any subsequent reaction (although should that footnote be done by lawyers so it holds up.?)
xx

this is VERY important. even if you do bake w/out the nuts, egg, and dairy there could be traces of the allergen on your pans, utencils, countertops... just let them know you are not a nut/egg/dairy free household/facility.

you can bake with egg replacers, Bob's Red Mill and Ener-g both sell them online.

you can bake using your regular recipies replacing the milk with soy milk (silk vanilla is great for cooking)

the icing is easy - I do 1/2 sweetex, 1/2 fleishmans UNSALTED margarine (dairy free), vanilla and powdered sugar

HTH

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 11

My day job boss's two daughters have severe peanut allergies. The youngest also has allergies to dairy and eggs (she has just now outgrown the egg allergy), so needless to say baking for the youngest child has been tough. My goal was to make a cake and frosting that she could have and the rest of the family would enjoy as well.

I found a book by accident when browsing my library book shelves one day and found this book: Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal. Here is a link to the book on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587613484/?tag=cakecentral-20.

It took some shopping and reading lots of labels before I rounded up all the ingredients, and made my first allergy free cake and frosting. I made the Classic Yellow Cake and Vanilla Frosting. It was a huge hit. Finally the youngest daughter could have a "real" cake and "real" frosting. Since she could have eggs, I substituted them instead of using the egg substitute. They don't have gluten allergies, so I was able to use real flour as well.

I prepared an ingredient list for her Mom and Dad to read as well. I'll attach it so you can see what was used and what the products contained.

I took the precaution of taking out all my utensils and mixing bowls, cake pans, everything I was going to use and washed them in a mixture of soapy water with a little clorox mixed in to make sure that there were no traces of anything she is allergic to.

I am going to buy this book and add it to my library. It's the best one I've found yet and has a real variety of baking recipes for people with allergies. I ended up renewing the library book 3 times because I read it and read it to become familiar with the terms and ingredient substitutions and I researched the product availabity online. I ended up buying everything at a natural food/health food store. A little pricey, but I knew I was getting exactly what the recipe called for. Now I've done it once, I know that some items are available at some local grocery stores and I will be able to purchase them at a better price.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 11

There is one margarine product that contains NO dairy, and it's Fleischman's Unsalted. I've used that with shortening, etc. to make a dairy-free "buttercream" icing and it worked out well. HTH!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramof5

There is one margarine product that contains NO dairy, and it's Fleischman's Unsalted. I've used that with shortening, etc. to make a dairy-free "buttercream" icing and it worked out well. HTH!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it at my local grocery stores icon_smile.gif

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for all of the information/recipes!! Can't wait to start experimenting. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%