Suggestions On How To Make A Stable Cake Stand

Decorating By melmar02 Updated 21 May 2010 , 4:47am by casme

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a friend's wedding cake. I want to have some sort of stand or riser under the cake so I can add ribbon with the hanging beads onto the cake board. The largest tier is 14" round. I was thinking of using a 16" board with a cake dummy covered in fabric under that (to get the cake up off the table). I think a 14" dummy may be too close to the beads, but I'm worried that a 12" may not be stable enough to cut the cake on.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Also, how should I attach the cake dummy to the board - glue, velcro, etc?

TIA

2 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #2 of 3

Don't worry about it being stable when being cut, it will be disassembled before cutting and the bottom tier just placed on the table. As far as attaching it, you need to be able to remove it for cutting so glue or velcro would be a problem. I would think just a circle of non-skid mesh would do the job. I mean, where is it going to go...the assembled cake will be really heavy. Just my thoughts.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:47am
post #3 of 3

I agree, when moving my cakes or icing them I always use a piece of bumpy shelf liner. Won't move at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%