Central Ohio Bakers (And/or Those Running A Cottage Industry

Business By MzPinkie Updated 17 May 2010 , 7:54pm by MzPinkie

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 4

First of all, I relize that this has probably been asked a ton of times.... I am just starting out, not really "in business" per se, but I have been making cakes for some friends baby showers (there is something in the water, 10 women I know have had/are going to have a baby this year!) It is getting real expensive to keep giving them away. A few of them have offered to pay, and I have contacted the Dept Of Agriculture reguarding having a cottage industry and they sent me all the bylaws. However, (and I dont know why this is confusing me) it does have a clause about refridgeration of product and products that could potententialy grow all sorts of fantastic bactera (ie dairy, egg whites). So, with that being said, does that preclude me from using real butter or cream cheese in my buttercreams or making IMBC or SMBC to cover the cakes or use bavarian pastry cream on the cakes I do sell?

This website has been such a great source of information for me and I appreciate any knowlage you are all willing to share!!!! Thanks so very much!!!!

3 replies
Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 4

You can use real butter. I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio shortening in mine. It does not require refrigeration. Cream cheese - no, because it does require refrigeration. As for the fillings, home made pastry creams require refrigeration so you cannot sell those. There are commercial bavarian creams that are sold in plastic sleeves that do not require refrigeration. I do not know about IMBC or SMBC, sorry.

If you choose to become licensed, then you can sell these items.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 4

I do believe the SMB and those that have to be refrigerated it out for us. We are mainly a buttercream shortening butter combo. I can't sell cheese cakes either. They told me only thing that DO NOT need refrigeration.I'm 20 min west of cleveland. I meant to add also like previous poster said we can use the cream cheese and barvarian cream and fruit flavors in the sleeves because they DO NOT need refrigerated and people love them.

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 4

that gives me a good place to start...thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%