Where Can I Find Bubble Tea Straws In Georgia?

Decorating By rcolson13 Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:40am by mamawrobin

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 19

I need bubble tea straws by Thursday, but I have called the oriental grocery stores in my area and no one seems to have bubble tea straws. Does anyone know where I can get these straws quickly in Georgia? Does anyone know if any particular fast food restaurants tend to carry them for shakes?

Thanks!

18 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 19

Most Asian markets have them, but I doubt fast food restaurants would have them. I got mine from ebay but you don't have time for that. You could use the wilton hidden pillars if you can't find the straws.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 19

As much as I hated wooden dowels, I'd use them this time. For future orders, you can get them cheap on ebay. I just don't trust other straws personally.

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 19

I ordered mine from Amazon....2 day delivery!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

As much as I hated wooden dowels, I'd use them this time. For future orders, you can get them cheap on ebay. I just don't trust other straws personally.

I use milkshake straws because I can't get bubble tea straws. I've never had a cake to shift or collapase on me. I've used them on 2,3 and 4 tier cakes without any problems. thumbs_up.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 19

Burger King has a big straw that they serve with their Oreo milkshake.

mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 19

I used McDonald's straws in both my pink flower cake and my blue and white cake that are in my photos. icon_lol.gif I hadn't found any to order at the time that those cakes were made and I hate using dowels. I went to my local McDonalds and ask if they would sell me a few. The lady just gave me a handfull.

Both of those cakes stood completely assembled for two days before being cut and never shifted in any way so I know that they will work just fine. I'd use them again without hesitation. thumbs_up.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 19

Where are you at up there? If you are anywhere close to Chamblee check with some of the Asian stores there as there are loads of them. Hope you find some soon enough otherwise, ebay is your best bet for the future. Good luck!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 19

Panera Bread uses them for their smoothies. I have purchased them in bulk at Restaurant Depot.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 19

Coffee AM in Canton, GA sells them.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 19

This is something that has worked great for me and every town has a flower shop of some kind right - ask to buy some of the sturdy plastic straws they put around a gerbera daisy. They are big, and appear to be of thicker plastic than the MacDonald's straws (which work great in a pinch). I've used these to support 3-tier carrot cake with cr/cheese and fondant. Works like a charm!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 19

I use the green straws from Starbucks

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 19

All great ideas CCers! I'm where 575 and 75 meet so Canton is a bit of a drive. I will go by a flower shop tomorrow and if that fails - off to Panera or McDs I go

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 19

Are the ones at the florist shop food safe?

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 19

I ordered mine from ebay and got them in less than 2 days.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Are the ones at the florist shop food safe?

Probably not!

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #17 of 19

I learned something new today from everyone. Thanks.

I hate cutting wooden dowels and recently have been using dowel straws from a company called Straws by M. Got a pack free at the Cake Convention in NYC. They have worked extremely well. I have transported (2) two-tiered cakes over 3 hours without problems. I'm running out and they are a little pricey to reorder (1/4 inch diameter; 12" long are $72. for 450).

Can't wait to try these straws you are have mentioned. When you give instructions for your cakes are you telling customers they are "plastic dowels" or referring to them as "straws" when removing? Just curious.

Melanie

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:23am
post #18 of 19

thanks thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #19 of 19

Melanie, I tell them that they're going to find "straws" when they cut into their cake icon_lol.gif. No one seems to mind.

I delivered a cake to the courthouse a couple of weeks ago and I told the lady that she would find straws in the cake because I used them for support. She told me that she had been in several weddings and that she had seen them used many times in wedding cakes. icon_eek.gif

And to think...I thought I was doing something "new" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%