Please Help Me Ge This Look!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 17 May 2010 , 4:13pm by jammjenks

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 9

My little boy wants a How to Train your Dragon cake for this coming weekend. Surprisingly, I think my biggest challenge will not be the dragons, but the mountain! Here is a sample of the sort of mountain he wants ... I may or may not be able to do it, in which case I can come up with something else for the texture, but he was very specific as to wanting "the mountain on the page with the Deadly Nadder" ... so, that's what I get for pushing him to do something fun with the cake, and raising a little cake snob. He drew the whole thing out for me (I'll post his picture when I post my cake icon_smile.gif ), little 6-year-old stinker. icon_smile.gif.

Please help me figure out a good way to get this look!
LL

8 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

After carving the initial shape (or even the base cake and using rkt for the extended areas) and icing it, what about using mottled candy melts and drizzling it? It reminds me of those heavily dripped candles.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with all4cake, base in cake finished in rkt.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 9

RKT will make great mountains. You can make candy melts any color by adding Make n Mold food color. I like the idea all4cake had of drizzling it .That will give you great texture. The best thing is it tastes good with the RKT. You might add some cotton candy for clouds and mist. You can get it ready made in bags. Our Wal-mart has it. I'll be looking for the finished product. It'll be great!

emiyeric Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 9

LOVE the RKT and drizzled candy idea!!!! Thanks, guys! You are always such a fantastic resource! And I love the idea of the cotton candy as well!!! AWESOME! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions before the final product is ready, but yes, I'll be sure to post it when it's done! icon_smile.gif

-Emi.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 9

You might be able to add extra texture, that carved by the elements look, by really bulking up on the chocolate/candy melts and dragging vegetable peeler down the mountain.

Can't wait to see the final product!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 9

If it's humid though, those cotton candy clouds will be a melted mess. Maybe you could add it at the LAST minute/second...

emiyeric Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 9

Good point about the cotton candy.
I need to figure out where I'll place my dragon figurines, if it's going to be RKT taking their weight in some places instead of actual cake, to make sure I don't make anything crash down.
I love love love the vegetable peeler idea too!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

You all are so creative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%