Questions About Petit Fours

Decorating By Mama_Mias_Cakes Updated 31 May 2010 , 6:05am by Texas_Rose

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hello and Good Morning!

I have been asked to make petit fours for a client. I have never made these, but really do want to give them a try.

She wants as some part of the petit fours to be a key lime flavor. I was thinking about making a vanilla pound cake with key lime butter cream or pastry cream filling. I was thinking a white chocolate ganache as the outer icing with a bit of key lime exract in it. What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good combination? What else would you recommend as the outside? I can also make a key lime pound cake with just a vanilla cream. Just wanted to get some feedback? icon_smile.gif

For those that have made these, how did you cut your cake layers so thin? I want to do 3 thin layers of cake with 2 layers of filling. I have square cookie cutters that I will be using to get the shape of the little cakes. Any tips and help with making these?

My final question is pricing. I looked online and there are all sorts of prices for a dozen of these. If you have sold them, what did you sell them for?

Thanks for all your help!!

4 replies
CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 5

I really hate those little things. At one time I really did like them not any more.

I dont do the layers. I have a wilton silicone petit four pan I got a joann a while ago.

Little squares easy to make. Just dont over bake them.

I always use a small tip on a bag of filling and pipe into the pett four from the bottom. Not alot enough to keep the petit four flat on top. I have blown out a few not paying attention.

Icing those little buggers are no fun. I use the dipping spoons and forks for that. Work fast.

Until someone comes up with a better method of icing them I'll do it again.

Now your flavors sound great I'd go with pound cake since its dense and holds its shape.
Pricing Id say check with whats near you and go mid-high range of the pricing range and work from there.

SusiesBakeShoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusiesBakeShoppe Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 5

Hi! I just found a great website that might help you out on making these...
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-petit-fours

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

Charge well is my advice. They are horrid to make. I refuse to make them anymore.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:05am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Charge well is my advice. They are horrid to make. I refuse to make them anymore.

That's really true. They're a pain to make.

I bake a 9x13 and split it to make two layers, put buttercream in between, then a layer of buttercream on top. Put waxed paper over it and smooth the buttercream as much as possible, then wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and freeze until hard. Take it out, cut the squares, then put them back in the freezer and work with a few at a time. I cover them in rolled fondant, but lots of people use poured glaze. If you can get it to cover the cakes, then that's a lot easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%