Winnie The Pooh Figurines? Gumpaste-Michaels?

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 18 May 2010 , 12:35am by sarascakecreations

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 6

the pooh cake coming up and i need to mold the characters and i was thinking of using fondant? i used it before to make animals and it was alright, not perfect but alright.

i tried to use gumpaste this weekend to make a headboard for a cake and it flopped! the thing never hardened. I used the powder one you mix with water from michaels... maybe i did it wrong? i've also heard that you could do half fondant and half buttercream but i tried it and it didn't work either!

what should i use?

sara

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #2 of 6

You would have wanted to use half fondant and half gumpaste, not buttercream.

I've only ever used the gumpaste that you can use straight from the bag. Is it possible you may have mixed the gumpaste with too much water?

I've also heard of placing gumpaste/fondant items in a cold oven with the light on overnight and that speeds up the drying process.

Good Luck!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #3 of 6

I use wilton fondant and wilton pre-made g/p or nick lodge g/p recipe when i make animals,etc.I mix it half and half.hth I never have a problem with anything i make. I sat a small fan in front of anything i make to help the drying time.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 6

I use satin ice fonant for ALL of my figurines, numbers, letters and never have a problem...I usually make my things Monday/Tuesday for weekend cakes...that gives them plenty of time to set up and dry...just keep out of direct sunlight as it will fade your colors...hope this helps

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 6

I have in the past (pictures posted) and again this weekend have a winnie the pooh cake. I use half fondant and half gumpaste, both satin ice... its perfect. I make the figures and then put in a square tupperwear for drying. I have never had a problem.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 6

thanks!

i did use half gumpaste and half fondant... sorry did i type buttercream?

i think i'll try it again and if not i'll buy the premade stuff.

sara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%