Gunge

Baking By itsmyparty68 Updated 17 May 2010 , 1:41pm by itsmyparty68

itsmyparty68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmyparty68 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 11

I have been reading about a paste that is called Gunge, used on fondant, gumpaste. Does anyone know the recipe to make Gunge?

10 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 11

I think it's called "Slime" here in the US so if you are looking for a recipe online you may want to try that term as well. HTH! Cat

itsmyparty68 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #3 of 11

I tried looking this up on google and found nothing. Any other suggestions as to how to find this recipe?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 11

Got to google and look up Recipe for Slime Nickelodeon. You will find several links...one of them should work.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 11

My boss used something called "gunge" for gumpaste flowers...all she did was mix some gumpaste with water and microwave it...was similar consistency to nail polish...

itsmyparty68 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #6 of 11

Is the recipe edible?

itsmyparty68 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #7 of 11

Buttercuppie: how much gumpaste and water and how long do you microwave it? Did it make a strong glue type substance to hold fondant/gumpaste figures together?

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #8 of 11

She just kinda eyeballed it. Even when I made it I just put in a few small balls of gumpate and then a bit of water...I was aiming for a nailpolish consistency. I microwaved it on 10 second intervals and mixed it as I went...you don't want to get it too hot...she primarily used it on her gumpaste flowers...when she put fondant decorations on cake she just used water.

HTH

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercuppie

She just kinda eyeballed it. Even when I made it I just put in a few small balls of gumpate and then a bit of water...I was aiming for a nailpolish consistency. I microwaved it on 10 second intervals and mixed it as I went...you don't want to get it too hot...she primarily used it on her gumpaste flowers...when she put fondant decorations on cake she just used water.

HTH

Ditto! I use the same methods, and mix it up in disposable souffle cups/dixie paper cups. Great for all the dried up scraps of gumpaste! icon_smile.gif

Geseka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geseka Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:52am
post #10 of 11

Don't know if this is the same thing that you're talking about, but here's a post awhile back where they talked about gunge:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613320-.html

I've never heard it referred to as that, but I have used the technique. Most recently, I covered a hard hat cake and developed some elephant skin. I just took a little bit of fondant and mixed it with a bit of slightly warm water until it formed a spreadable paste. I used that to kind of spackle over the fondant where there were imperfections. When it dried, I couldn't tell the different between the fondant and the spackle.

If you are strictly talking about something like gumpaste glue to attach pieces of fondant/gumpaste decorations together or to the cake, I've made that just by taking bits of gumpaste and dissolving them in warm water. In that case, I have more water than gumpaste. In the fondant spackle, I'd say it was more of a 50/50 ratio or maybe even slightly more fondant to water. But I've only done the spackle once so someone else may know more.

itsmyparty68 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks to everyone who responded. Your help is very much appreciated. I will give this a try! Thanks
itsmyparty68

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%