What Do You Aks When You Meet With A Client?

Business By domesticakes Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 12:52am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

domesticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domesticakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 8

I am VERY new to the cake business. I have actually only sold one cake, but I'm getting inquiries about more. I was thinking of having a form that either I or the customer fills out with things I might need to know. Does anyone use anything like that? Or do you have any suggestions on what you ask when someone wants a cake. Thanks in advance!

7 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 8

I too am in the same situation as you...

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

domesticakes - a form is a great idea.

My question to you both is what details do you want to know when making a cake for a client.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 8

I have a form on my website in which clients can fill out all the necessary info. It really helps with getting the info I need. You can use it for ideas. Hope I was able to help.

http://www.dremecakeartistry.com/how-to-order/

nikkig192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkig192 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

I have a form on my website in which clients can fill out all the necessary info. It really helps with getting the info I need. You can use it for ideas. Hope I was able to help.

http://www.dremecakeartistry.com/how-to-order/

Thanks for the info. You have a beautiful site. I am new to the baking business. Thanks.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 8

Make sure you ask them what their budget is!!
Good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 8

I find that just corresponding one on one, whether by email or over the phone or in person does the best for finding out what a person wants in a custom cake.

How many servings is the first thing to ask, as well as sometimes what is their budget...and then if they have any ideas or themes. Most people have a picture or theme in mind...if they don't, you start asking them what their decorating theme is, colors, etc...they can then lead you to a design.

I don't think a form would really cover all the little details that each different cake needs....

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 8

I agree with Kitagrl,
I like to have a conversation with my clients about their cakes. I can get all the information I need from them while talking to them. They really have no idea that I'm getting the information I need, they just think we're talking. It helps build a relationship with them, which makes them more likely to buy from you. (Learned all this from selling cars LOL) A form to fill out makes people feel like they're in a doctors office in my opinion. If having a form helps you, then I would suggest filling it out yourself as you ask them the questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%