Help.... Buttercream

Decorating By sarahp7467 Updated 16 May 2010 , 7:13pm by mamawrobin

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I am sorta new to cake decorating, and everyone tells me that you can refrigerate the buttercream and use it later. I have tried this and I am not sure if it is just the recipe I have, but after I take it out of the fridge and let it sit, it melts..... Does anyone else have this problem? BTW it is made out of both butter and crisco.
Thanks

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 7

maybe just the effect of any condensation?
xx

young9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
young9 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

have you tried to re-whip it? i make half butter half crisco as well and i guess mine has never melted, but i do re-whip after i take it out of the fridge no matter what.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

maybe just the effect of any condensation?
xx

I think this is probably your problem. I refrigerated my buttercream once. I won't do it again. thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

I also need to know this information: if you don't refrigerate the buttercream frosting (made w/ shortening, so shortening-cream), how long will it last on the counter in the kitchen? Thanks for your advice...Kay

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

If you make shortening based icing, it will be good on the counter practically indefinitely.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I also need to know this information: if you don't refrigerate the buttercream frosting (made w/ shortening, so shortening-cream), how long will it last on the counter in the kitchen? Thanks for your advice...Kay

I use Indydebi's receipe and even with using milk it will be fine at room tempature for up to two weeks. Covered of course. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%