Wrappers Came Off Cupcake

Baking By SPCC Updated 17 May 2010 , 1:32pm by cakegal

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 14

so last night I made 60 mini cupcakes and left them on the counter. This morning I got up and all the wrappers pulled away from the cupcakes. Has this happened to anyone before?

I used a half recipe of WASC. And I got the wrappers from Michael's. I just don't know why this happened. they were for a cast party that I was hoping to get some hobby work from but now I can't even let him take them. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

13 replies
fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 14

Yes, this has happened to me once before. It was when I put the cupcakes in the refrigerator before letting them cool completely. I happens when theres too much moisture. Was there lots of humidity in the air. Maybe try letting them cool in the oven then once they are completely cooled, place them in the refrigerator. HTH

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 14

I've had that happen sometimes - not sure why it does it. I've sometimes put a little dab of icing between the cupcake and the wrapper and "stuck" the wrapper back on. I wonder if it has something to do with how much the wrapper is sprayed beforehand? Maybe it's too much Pam?

SPCC Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 14

I left them on the counter to cool over night and I have never sprayed my liners with pam. do they do that at the manufacturer? I would put some frosting between the wrapper and the cupcake but I was making cupcakes for the play Annie and all my frosting is orange. I guess I freeze the frosting until I make my Mets cake and let my fam eat the cupcakes. icon_cry.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 14

My cupcake pans came with tag that read: "alllow to cool no longer than 10 minutes in pan to avoid condensation". This was probably your problem. icon_smile.gif I only let my cupcakes cool for about 5 minutes in the pans then I move them onto wire racks for cooling.

When you allow them to cool in the pan you risk them sweating and causing condensation. This is why the liners pull away from the cupcakes.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 14

This happened to me with one cupcake recipe I was experimenting with and I think it was because there was too much fat in the recipe.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 14

Did yuu leave them in the pan overnight? OR take them out and set them on the counter or cooling rack over night? I would think leaving them in the pan would cause too much moisture. I am sorry that this happened to you.

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy164

Did yuu leave them in the pan overnight? OR take them out and set them on the counter or cooling rack over night? I would think leaving them in the pan would cause too much moisture. I am sorry that this happened to you.

I agree. Even my cupcake pans came with a tag saying as much.

SPCC Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 14

I took them out of the pan. weird?

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

I took them out of the pan. weird?

Yes it is. icon_confused.gif

SPCC Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 14

oh well! one of those unexplained phenoms I guess!!! icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 14

The ONLY time I have ever had this happen was when I sprayed my liners with Pam. I never spray the liners anymore.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #13 of 14

I can't believe I'm reading this... I had the same problem yesterday! It was also with the mini-cupcakes. I couldn't figure it out until I realized it only happened to my lemon & strawberry cake. Those two are super moist since I just add sleeve filling to my white batter. I found that if I filled them a little more, the problem went awayicon_smile.gif HTH!!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 14

I cool mine in the pans 10 mins. then I take them out and place them in my holders to finish cooling. I let them cool for a long time before I put ice them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%