Gumpaste Is Drying Out

Decorating By Lezlee Updated 18 May 2010 , 12:24am by Lezlee

Lezlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lezlee Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 7

I have an ongoing problem with gumpaste. I use the Wilton ready made. It starts drying out as I am coloring it. By the time my color is mixed its difficult to work with. It cracks and isn't as pliable. Is there any way to reconstitute it, or remoisten it once the color is mixed? It seems to happen whether I use Wilton colors or AmeriColor. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 7

Try kneading the color into a small piece, making it more intense than you want the color to turn out, and then knead that piece with a larger piece.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 7

are you keeping crisco right there to keep on your hands? I keep a 'blob' of it on my tray that I am working on. I also prefer to mix fondant in, it seems to make it easier to work with for a longer period.

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 7

I use the Wilton pre-made as well as the Wilton dry mix that you add water to. The key is the shortening, I have never had your problem and I always use shortening on my hands and mix a bit in.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 7

I never touch gumpaste without shortening on my fingers. I learned that from Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Ditto for the shortening. I just colored gum paste black, red and caution sign yellow- when it started to feel tacky I put more shortening on my hands. Worked with it today and it was great!

Lezlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lezlee Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all of the responses! I will try to be a little more liberal with the shortening! And I will also try Texas-Roses's uggestion of coloring a small piece first!

I must add that I just love having everyone's expertise and personal experiences right here at my fingertips. I love CC!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%