Buttercream Would Notcrust...why??

Baking By CaKKes Updated 16 May 2010 , 3:07pm by tonedna

CaKKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaKKes Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 8

I have a cake due tomorrow and I went to put my buttercream on today and it would not crust. I was using a crusting buttercream so I am not sure what happened.

I used my buttercream that I had in the fridge for about a week now and I had to dye it blue. I usually add the color and mix it in by hand but I was lazy today and did not feel well so I mixed the dye in using my kitchen aid. Could that have made it not crust? Did I mix it too much?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #2 of 8

Is it hot and humid where you live? Your home unusually hot or humid? Raining?
When and how you add color makes NO differrence what so ever. Neither should the fact it has been in the frig.
Are you sure yuou made the recipe *exactly* right.
Usually when a b'cdream does not crust there is more fat than sugar. Maybe you added extra butter or shortening w/o realizing it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 8

Did you use the buttercream while it was still cold?
Was your cake cold at all?
What is the weather like right now where you are at? is it humid?

CaKKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaKKes Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 8

I dyed it right out of the fridge. I am sure I did the recipe right because I used it last week and it crusted just fine. Maybe it was the weather.....ughhh I hate when this stuff happens and it is a trial and error to figure out what went wrong! Thanks for all the thoughts.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 8

I refrigerated a buttercream crumbcoated cake once and it never did crust after I removed it from the fridge. I don't know why but I haven't refrigerated buttercream since.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 8

Crusting/non-crusting is a function of the fat to sugar ratio. Period.

Has nothing to do with refrigeration, color, mixing or meringue powder.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Crusting/non-crusting is a function of the fat to sugar ratio. Period.

Has nothing to do with refrigeration, color, mixing or meringue powder.

I know this, that's why I don't understand why I had trouble with mine not wanting to crust after I refrigerated it. icon_confused.gif The reason being is that I used the same sugar to fat ratio as always. I'm thinking that it would have crusted eventually but I covered it with fondant after it had been out of the fridge for a couple of hours and it still hadn't crusted.

What I was saying to the op is that I had the same problem after refrigerating. Maybe she just didn't give it enough time as it seems to be an issue with HOW LONG it takes to crust after having been in the fridge.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 8

The moisture in the change of temperature + adding the color to it might have thin the icing a bit causing it not to crust.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%