Spiral Galaxy Cake, Any Ideas?

Decorating By videominx Updated 17 May 2010 , 8:39pm by videominx

videominx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
videominx Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 3

Looking for ideas as to how to make a spiral galaxy cake for a 21st birthday. I thought about using spun sugar but I am afraid that the humidity here in Texas in July would destroy it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
LL

2 replies
RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 3

Ok....let's see if I can describe the picture in my head...

How about doing a cake in something like a "fried egg" shape? A single layer, or just 2 layer, large round cake at the base, and a half-ball in the middle? That way, you can airbrush, or sculpt the spiral arms of the galaxy on the large round, and perhaps a white covering on the half-ball, with some disco dust, or something to make the galaxy's core sparkle and shine.

maybe add a few small fondant stars on wires to float around, and fill out the space above the cake?

HTH, good luck, and make sure to post pics when you're done!
Happy caking!!
Scott

videominx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
videominx Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the ideas, Scott! I'm all about the sparkly stuff but I was at a loss as to how to give the cake some depth, other than an entire airbrushed mural. I'm also thinking maybe I can rig a fake center layer, using a cake circle, and insert several wires into it and bend them to make the spiral pattern. Put the half-ball on top, ice, paint and BOOM! done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%