Help A Newbie?

Decorating By Hannahbear Updated 15 May 2010 , 12:57pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Hannahbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hannahbear Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:09am
post #1 of 5

hi! have stupidly decided that i will do the birthday cake i want for DS 1st birthday myself. Its a teddy bears picnic theme and i have found some cute ideas that entails teddy bears and little food items on plates.

so i shipped off down to the local cake decorating supply shop and the lady was very nice and told me what i'll be need. she sold me sugar modelling paste and some glue to hold the pieces together. She told me it will go hard once i'll moulded into place.

So i made a little bear to test out. and it actually looks good (shock horror) but it been a day or two now and it still has not hardened up???? How long will it take to harden. i have stored it in a tupperware container and now am wondering if it needs to sit out?

also im having trouble gluing his ears on. the arms and legs are fine, but his ears just keep falling off! is there an tips on how to make them stay?

thank you in advance!!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:18am
post #2 of 5

It needs to sit out to dry.

To stick the ears on, you may need to use just a tiny bit of glue and then hold the ears in place for a minute or two while the glue dries a bit.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:50am
post #3 of 5

I am also new at this, but I have read some post in which they say.. 1st to hold the ears or little arms you can use little pieces of spaguetti, one end on the ear and insert the other end to bears head with a litltle edible glue. 2nd it has to be uncover so that it dries; Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Hannahbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hannahbear Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:48am
post #4 of 5

thanks guys icon_smile.gif i have done the spaghetti trick with his ears and seems to be doing the trick.

now off to do the food icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 5

Definitely take him out of the plastic container and let it sit out. I will loosely drape my pieces with plastic wrap. It allows the air to circulate and keeps the dust off. Another thing if you are short on time, is let him sit in your oven with just the light on the night before you need it. It helps them harden more. I do this all the time with my pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%