How To Put Together Bow?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm by mamawrobin

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #1 of 5

I am making a last minute bow. I used Wioton Fondant with tylose added. It is drying now. Hope it will be dry emough tomorrow. I do not have candy melts. Is there any other way to assemble the bow? Maybe use a small ball of fondant?

4 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #2 of 5

do you have any buttercream? that's what I use, colored the same as the color of the bow & just squirt out a big glob for the center. I haven't tried the ball of fondant, but I would think it would be too hard? BTW Wilton fondant dries very fast, overnight is plenty of time for your bow pieces.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:39am
post #3 of 5

Hi, what sort of a bow have you made? And is the cake covered in fondant or bc?

If its a loopy bow or a dress bow, then I use royal Icing to assemble it straight on to the fondant covered cake. icon_smile.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

do you have any chocolate candy bars or Hershey kisses? You can use water or gum glue (water with a little tylose added), depending on what kind of bow it is and where it is positioned on the cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 5

I've used melted chocolate, royal icing and melted fondant. I like using the same color of fondant that my bow is made of. You just put a ball of the fondant in a bowl and add a tiny bit of water (tiny) and start dissolving your fondant. I use my fingers to work the water in. It will make a nice paste. You don't want it to be at all "runny" but about the same consisgency of melted chocolate.

I then cut a 4X4 piece of fondant.and allow to dry till firm. Then I place a "blob" of my dissolved fondant on it and start assembling my first row of loops. I reapeat the process until my bow is fully assembled. I allow to dry comletely on the square of fondant. After drying it's ready for the top of your cake. I put mine on my cake with the piece of fondant between my tier and my bow. When it's time to cut the cake you can remove the bow as a whole without breaking it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%