Duff Cake Mix...seriously????

Decorating By momma28 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 8:13pm by laurenp33

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 155

Got an email from michaels about the launch of their duff goldman line of products. They are selling Duff cake mix....REALLY????? Give me a break.

If the customer comments I have seen online (people that actually bought cakes from him) are any indication the only reason for buying that would be if you wanted dry flavorless cake.

Have to say though....once people see the price of the fondant they may think twice about complaining about pricing.

154 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 155

I say we all take the pledge not to buy this stuff.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 155

At the moment the only thing I'm interested in is purchasing the color spray in Silver. With a coupon- around $2...that's cheap enough to try.

But the majority of the stuff...

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 155

Went to Michaels today. They had a line of Duff Stuff - Buttercream Fondant - white and in colors $19.99 for 2lbs. Duff Buttercream Icing $29.99 I think 4 lbs. He also had sprinkles , spatulars, pans, gel colors . He also has edible images 2 sheets - enought to do two round cakes for $14.99 - they call them cake Tattoo's.

At these prices do it your self people will spend a fortune to make a cake - so they may appreciate the prices bakes charge.

Also, the cake cricut sells colored icing sheets - 3 sheets for $17.99. And you can't use any coupons for cricut stuff.

The lady at the store said you would not be surprised if Michaeals doen't start including duff stuff to be exempt from use with a coupon in the future. Just her thought - nothing official from the company.

I forgot to add the Duff cake mix is a small box (didn't look at what size cake it will make) and it sells for $7.99.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Count me in. thumbs_up.gif

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 155

The cake mix is selling for $13.49 in Canada

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:12am
post #7 of 155

I found a recipe for Duff's scratch yellow cake online and gave it a try. Wasn't impressed at all....I couldn't get passed the dryness to tell if I liked the flavor or not. thumbsdown.gif But I'm also not convinced that these "celebrity" decorators actually post their real recipes. I mean...I don't give out MY recipes to customers! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.giftapedshut.gif

Anyway, I probably wouldn't buy the Duff stuff at Michael's unless it was something really unique. But.....I'm curious....Why the call for a boycott? Is it because it's overpriced, or have I missed something? icon_confused.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #8 of 155

I don't think that "professional" or even "hobby" decorators will buy this stuff. I think the majority of the sales will be made by those are very new to cake decorating or fans that watch the show. I just couldn't buy a cake mix for $7.99! The only thing that I would even consider would be the impression mats for $4.99 (that's if I had a coupon).

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:25am
post #9 of 155
Quote:

I'm not buying that stuff either. I asked a lady at Michael's the other day if they had sold a lot of it and she said that after the Wilton class the other night, the class bought up most of the stuff. She also concurred that they all thought the only ones who would be buying this stuff is the "super fans".

For what it's worth, a friend of mine went to a wedding recently and brought me back a couple slices of cake. I wasn't impressed and he said most of the guests ate about half. He said the cake was really nice but since he doesn't eat sweets, he wound up bringing a few of the left over slices home to me, his mom & another one of his co-workers. He said his mother was not impressed either.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #10 of 155

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif mazz those prices made my eyes pop out !! WHY? WHY? why would someone pay that much? that is crazy IMO. If I came home with a 7.99 cake mix.. my DH would think I had lost my mind, when I could have bought 8 duncan hines for the same price. LOL

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #11 of 155

I was in Michael's a few days ago (was passing by so stopped in) and they were just putting out the Duff stuff, so I wasn't able to see the line or prices. But they were totally "remodeling" their baking aisle to make room for it, so it's obvious they are going to push it heavily and expect it to sell well. I can't imagine Wilton is excited about this.... tapedshut.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:52am
post #12 of 155

I bought Mike McCarreys modeling chocolate from a place in Canada. It was 1lb. It tastes ok,its yellow instead of white. But super expensive for what it was.

I think its just their way of merchandising themselves like Emeril, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray have done. They have their own cookware line, etc. and Im sure they really dont have much say on the imput of the product. They probably just get royalties for having their name on it.

Although we all think that their sell-outs and over priced junk, their not really targeting the merchandise to us. Their targeting it to their fans and people that are clueless on cake decorating (thus the kits to make cakes that look like ones theyve done).

I dont know if its right or wrong but hell, I wouldnt mind being able to sit back and collect money for it. I probably would make sure the products are of good quality first, but I wouldnt mind it!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #13 of 155
Quote:

I'M IN!! You wont catch me buying any of it!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #14 of 155

I think its HILARIOUS.....

Won't catch me buying "Duff Cake Mix".

LOL!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #15 of 155

Michaels is also bringing in their own line of cake decorating items. That is whay they are remodeling their cake isles. There will be 3 or 4 isles of cake stuff now

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #16 of 155

I'm all for more choices than wilton but the prices are ridiculous. I wish they would sell americolor and lorann flavorings. Wilton isnt the only cake decorating supply company.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #17 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif mazz those prices made my eyes pop out !! WHY? WHY? why would someone pay that much? that is crazy IMO. If I came home with a 7.99 cake mix.. my DH would think I had lost my mind, when I could have bought 8 duncan hines for the same price. LOL

I know what you mean I had 2 50% off coupons and could not find a cake thing I needed. But he did have a nice icing spatular that might be a nice . I only use my old offset wilton spatular with the wooden handle and this silver metal spatular is just so totally different I wonder what it would be like. Kind of like a huge butter knife like I used when I was growing up and decorating cakes. If I decide to get it I will let you all know what I think of it - of course at 50% off.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #18 of 155

I wonder if the changes at Michael's are nationwide? I was just at mine last week & nothing new...

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #19 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I know what you mean I had 2 50% off coupons and could not find a cake thing I needed. But he did have a nice icing spatular that might be a nice . I only use my old offset wilton spatular with the wooden handle and this silver metal spatular is just so totally different I wonder what it would be like. Kind of like a huge butter knife like I used when I was growing up and decorating cakes. If I decide to get it I will let you all know what I think of it - of course at 50% off.

I bought that solid stainless offset spatula because it was all one piece and was very sturdy. I tried it already and it seems "thick". It's just diiferent from the Wilton crap I'm used to! I think I will like when I get used to it.

I didn't see anything else I would buy though! I'm with the PP who said they should carry americolor!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #20 of 155

I was curious about Duffs buttercream fondant, I used my 50% coupon, it tasted good but won't make a habit if buying it. Duff cake mix- LMBO, so are we suppose to think 'if we buy Duff's mix our cakes will turn out like his'. Think I'll stick to my 94cent mix (and I get a box tops with that).

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #21 of 155
Quote:

If people buy Duff cake mix and fondant and then use the Cricut Cake they really can become professionals in no time!!

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #22 of 155

Love to watch Duff and the gang, but my recipes are awesome, so why would I pay 4x more for his box mix. Can't see serious cakers being the target customer for this. They want the fans.

Would love to see more choices available locally though, maybe GSA wants to set up a warehouse in my back yard. icon_lol.gif

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #23 of 155

I agree with Mattie!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #24 of 155

ATCakes,
Are you sayn' I didn't need to go to culinary school? Damn that was a lot of $$.

hahahahaha

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #25 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I can't imagine Wilton is excited about this.... tapedshut.gif

I think they're more than happy for it! Duff's stuff makes theirs look like the better deal so this may increase their sales icon_razz.gif

$8 for cake mix is highway robbery. Duff has officially destroyed the last ounce of integrity he had. (and he didnt seem to have much of it to start with) icon_confused.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:11am
post #26 of 155

OMG!! icon_surprised.gif I was in Michaels this eve after dinner to get a couple of things ( sink disposal ate my #18 tip) and saw the line of Duff Stuff...

icon_mad.gif What makes that cake mix worth $8? Does he come over and mix it in my kitchen? icon_biggrin.gif it is still pre measured dry ingredients. How do they justify that??

Also, I saw the fondant and did not see anything on the lable indicating it was Satin Ice. I looked very closely, but did not see it. The line is very overpriced.

Sandy C.

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:15am
post #27 of 155

I saw these the other day too.

I was this close (-) to buying the colors because it had a neon green and I've never seen anything but leaf green at wilton. Glad I didn't shell out $7.00 for 3 colors. When I went to make cake decorating classes I found a electric green americolor...awesome!

I would love his pair of fondant texture sheets for $6.00 but I'm just starting out..so not really necessary at the moment.

and BTW CeeTee I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #28 of 155

I think it is just a gimmic and a money maker...he is not dumb that is for sure...I totally agree with you guys in that some people...."cake muggles" think that if they buy this stuff .....poof they will be the next Ace of Cakes...LMAO!!!! Well I don't really care for the show, but I fell for buying one thing. I did have a 50% off coupon..bought the two pack of impression mats...the one was polka dots, they are a fav. of mine! Anyway...I think the thing sucked...all the fonant did was stick in every nook and cranny of it...and holy crap are they junkie...over priced for the name that is it....won't be buying anything else with or without a coupon...I can get fondant at a fraction of that price, make my own cake, and buttercream so I am good there..thanks anyway Duff... thumbs_up.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:06am
post #29 of 155

I can't believe there is Duff mix considering he made a negative comment about people using cake mixes in his Charm City Cakes book! I guess mixes are bad--unless, of course, it's a Duff mix. lol

Btw, I also sampled some of his cakes when I was planning my wedding. This was before his show took off. I was not impressed by the taste and found them to be super dry. I think their focus is look more so than taste. But, I will take a simple decorated cake that tastes awesome over a cake that can walk, talk, and/or look like the freakin' Eiffel Tower but tastes dry and hard! That's just me. icon_smile.gif

I live in Baltimore and he has a TON of fans here who I am sure will happily buy his line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I think its HILARIOUS.....

Won't catch me buying "Duff Cake Mix".

LOL!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:41am
post #30 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

I can't believe there is Duff mix considering he made a negative comment about people using cake mixes in his Charm City Cakes book! I guess mixes are bad--unless, of course, it's a Duff mix. lol

That's kinda where my thinking was going as I read this thread.

I can practically hear the narrative now. The gunshot rings out in the air, the gates are raised and THEY'RE OFF! Scratch Cake Sally taking a big lead, followed close by Box Mix Betty with Duff Stuff closing in fast! Walmart Willy seems to have noticed a butterfly fluttering about and is having trouble staying on the track. They round the first turn .... Box Mix working to get ahead but Scratch Cake Sally still holding the lead. Duff Stuff is gaining but uh oh! ..... he's falling back, his momentum not holding up .... and the winner is .... the winner is .......!

(Tune in next week folks for the continuing saga of Scratch vs. Mix vs. Duff Stuff!)

ok ok .... it's 3:30 in the morning and I have my hotel reports all done and there is pretty much NOTHING to do right now! Humor me as I entertain myself! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%