Pirate Cake Help!

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 15 May 2010 , 12:41pm by foxymomma521

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 9

My 4 year old daughter wants a pirate party for her birthday...and nothing pink or girly either...LOL! Anyway...I'm too intimidated to try and make a whole pirate ship. I thought I would make a 2 tiered cake with pirate accents.

However, I thought I would attempt to make a small pirate ship for the top tier. I figure if I don't get it right, I can just leave it off the cake. I've never made any kind of 3D figure out of fondant or gumpaste (just cut outs). I have no idea how to construct this at all.

Does anyone know of a thread or resource to point me towards that might help?

TIA icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 9

The Wilton Yearbook (2010) has a small pirate ship cake (more like a raft) in it. You can also get a pattern book (to go along with the Yearbook)

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 9

google pics, look at others work, and just start shoving it together. pretty soon your lump turns into something really cool!!

Try to find some still shots of the black pearl, just to get the slopes and the poles and such.. ( my kids had some posters from the movie that had good pics on it) I think it would be really cute icon_smile.gif

on google try putting in : pirate ship pictures
and here, search out: pirate ship. I guarentee you will find so many to peice together you love it!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 9

You might try making it out of Rice Krispie Treats. While they're still warm mold them into an oblong-y boat shape then cover it with icing and fondant. It might be lighter and easier than shaping the whole thing out of fondant. Don't forget to check the galleries here too for great pirate inspiration!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #5 of 9

Well, Deco pac has a really cute pirate cake. If you want, most of the pieces can be made by hand.

Or, since kids love stuff that looks like it came from the store, you can buy the plastic kits on line.

Google "pirate cake kit" for ideas or to just buy it.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:45am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for your help! I've looked at many pictures and I guess I just need to go for it. I've got until the end of July (I like to plan ahead...LOL) so I think I'm going to just try making one and see what happens.

matthewkyrankelly...I was not familiar with decopac until you mentioned them. Wow! Thank you...there's a pattern on there for the pirate ship cake that I'm going to try to modify and scale down for my purposes.

Thanks again!!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 9

If you want to send me your email I have instructions for a pirate ship that someone on the Wilton forums sent me. It is for a pirate ship on top of a sheet cake.

hoguewild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoguewild Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 9

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I had the same dilemma for my four year old girl's birthday 3 weeks ago. Except I tried to talk mine into a pirate ship, but all she wanted was a "scary skull cake with fire eyes". *sigh* What is it with these girls? icon_smile.gif

So what I did to lessen the creepy factor was I made a cake with a skull, but then surrounded it with cupcakes with fondant pirate faces. The pirates were so easy it wasn't funny (unfortch, I'm having problems uploading pictures...), so if you're worried about making a ship, this might be another way to go...

Good luck!!
LL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:41pm
post #9 of 9

What about a chocolate mold for the pirate ship on top?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%