Carrot Cake Sheet Cake

Baking By Skidoochic Updated 14 May 2010 , 6:46pm by Skidoochic

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make a carrot cake sheet cake next week and I am panicking about flipping the thing out of the pan. I have made many carrot cakes in round pans and I know how sticky they can be. Has anyone done a carrot cake sheet cake and, if so, do you have any tips for me for flipping it out of the pan?

Also, my recipe is for 13X9X2. Can I double it for a 1/2 sheet size?

10 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry, I haven't done one that big - the biggest I've done was in a Wilton open book pan, but it was about the size of a 1/4 sheet cake. The carrot cake recipe I used had baby food carrots - not shredded. Don't have the recipe anymore.

Skidoochic Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks TNT! Maybe someone else can help too?????

melon_ball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melon_ball Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 11

I used a recipe I found on cc: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7402/carrot-cake-nutless-and-no-pineapple

It worked out really well and it was delicious. It did not stick to the pan at all. (My pan was approx 15 x 10. ) 1 batch filled one sheet pan.

To flip it I put the board over it first...

I hope this helps!

Skidoochic Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks melon ball. I noticed the recipe is for 9 X 13 pan. Did you double it?

melon_ball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melon_ball Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 11

I was making a trigonometry/triangle cake for a math teacher so I only needed the one sheet - cut in half then diagonally and stacked to make a triangle.

Skidoochic Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 11

Gotcha! OK, well, I guess I will experiment and see what happens! Carrot cake mistakes are just soooo awful to have to eat! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help everyone!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 11

I make carrot sheet cakes all the time, just line your pan with waxed paper on the bottom and spray with a non stick spray! You can run a knife around the edges of the pan if necessary and then the waxed paper will keep anything from sticking on the bottom!

and YES you can put 2-9x13's together to make a full sheet, run some icing down the side of one cake and butt the next cake right up to it nice and tight, even making some of the icing squish up on top of the cake. You don't want that seam to come open after you frost and decorate your cake!

Skidoochic Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks KHalstead. May I ask another question???? My recipe contains nuts and coconut, but the other sheet cake recipes don't. Is that because the nuts and coconut weigh the cake down too much? Should I just skip that for a sheet cake?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 11

I don't see how that would make a difference, but I don't use coconut or nuts in mine so I couldn't say for sure! I would imagine it's because it would cost a small fortune to make a cake that size w/ nuts and coconut in it lol

Skidoochic Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 11

Ha! Ha! That is true!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%