Should Cake Be Frozen Before Laying Fondont....

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 14 May 2010 , 4:01pm by mamawrobin

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 5

Should cakes be frozen and dirty iced before laying fondont? Also, how to avoid and lumps and bumps from show through fondont?

4 replies
joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 5

Cakes don't need to be frozen, but I find it easier to bake and freeze the cakes ahead of time, then level and fill while they are still frozen, and then crumbcoat and cover in fondant (they are still firm by this point). In order to not have any lumps showing through the fondant, you must smooth the icing completely before applying the fondant. A crusting buttercream or ganache works best for this. HTH!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 5

The cake does need a crumb coat, but I just refrigerate it for several hours or over night. The best way to avoid bumps is to have a smooth finish on the crumb coat. Also something I have done from time to time is instead of on thick fondant layer I cover the cake in two thin layers. The first layer helps to smooth a bit then top it with the second layer and it should be a perfect finish.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 5

I will usually put my cakes (with a thin smooth layer of buttercream) in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Its not really necessary but I find that it helps with the fondant application if the cake is really cold.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 5

NEVER put fondant on a frozen cake. Trust me. But yes, you should crumb coat and apply extra icing if you want. I always put a regular coat of icing under my fondant since I found out that I could.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%