What Is The All Time Filling For Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 18 May 2010 , 9:35pm by ramie7224

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 33

I am making a chocolate cake for a bridal shower as a gift. The bride (my friend) said she wants a filling, but not lemon or choc. mousse. I have only done buttercream as a filling, but thought I might give something else a shot. I have seen the HUGE list on here for the "gourmet cakes". But, what is a good all-around filling for chocolate cake that most will like. Thinking maybe something with strawberries or raspberries as not sure if she likes mint or coffee (some of my favorites).

32 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 33

I like to vary it when I'm taking it to family functions, but usually it's one of the following.

Bavarian Creme (seems to be the favorite)
Cherry
Raspberry
Strawberry

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 33

For me it begins and ends with peanut butter!!

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 33

Cookies and cream! Crush up oreos and mix them with your buttercream. I love it!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 33

My favorite filling for chocolate cake is a peanut butter buttercream (sometimes with roughly chopped Reeses peanut butter cups folded in)

I use my usual buttercream recipe changing the usual shortening/butter mix to 1/3 cup hi-ratio shortening, 1/3 cup butter and 2/3 cup creamy PB (not natural style)

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 33

Mocha, Peppermint, Raspberry, or Peanut Butter...all super YUM thumbs_up.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 33

chocolate gnache plain or flavored with some sort of liquor

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalyn

Cookies and cream! Crush up oreos and mix them with your buttercream. I love it!

agreed. but i would have to say sylvia winestocks chocolate mousse is to die for. seriously, i could eat a big bowl of it by itself!!! i know you said not mousse, but just thought i'd mention it.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 33

I like Bavarian Cream & Raspberry, but my favorite (as well as my customers) is Peanut Butter:
Cream 1/2 cup each softened butter & creamy peanut butter, then add 1 cup powdered sugar & 1/4 tsp vanilla. Super yum!

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #10 of 33

just love,love ganaches with liquor. If you decide on anything peanut butter, better chsck for allergys..

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #11 of 33

No doubt...hands down...my favorites would have to be cookies and cream, peanut butter or caramel. Or to really kick it up a notch...caramel with pecans chopped up...make sure no nut allergies though or let everyone know it contains nuts.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #12 of 33

Have recently tried Nutella as a filling in choc cake. Oh oh oh! Sooooooo delicious! And it seemed to make the cake taste moister. I love that or jaffa (orange flavour) or strawberry flavour.

I tried Ferrero Rochere filling but found I hated the slightly crunchy texture it gave - felt wrong in cake.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #13 of 33

I agree with raspberry or peanut butter...both get rave reviews. But a warning about peanut butter: don't use "natural" or non-hydrogenated peanut butter. If unrefrigerated, the oil separates and creates a mess!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #14 of 33

A favorite here is whipping cream/ instant pudding mixture. Cookies and cream mixture being the one thats most requested by my grandkids and my DHs workmates.
1 pint whipping cream, 1 regular size cookies & cream instant pudding. Put in bowl, whisk until thick, fill cake. Its very good.. icon_razz.gif
You can't leave the cake at room temp too long of course.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 33

When using Nutella as a filling do you just use it straight from the jar? Do you add anything to it? It seems ratehr stiff - do you nuke it so that it spreads easier or do you whip it or something. I have two jars of it and I want to try it.

Thanks

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 33

Yes! Please share a good nutella recipe icon_surprised.gif)

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 33

Banana
PB
Chocolate mousse
Mint

...in that order icon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #18 of 33

I've done bittersweet ganache with raspberry moistening syrup, white chocolate buttercream , sliced strawberries, a chocolate sugar cookie and a a little frosting, chocolate meringue disk with buttercream, chocolate French silk, strawberry mousse, vanilla custard, white chocolate IMBC with toffee bits. I think a peppermint mousse would be tasty too but haven't tried that yet. If you go stand in the candy aisle and look at all the flavors they're filling chocolate bars with you will some more ideas. icon_smile.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #19 of 33

Fabray13, any chance you have or are willing to share the sylvia winestocks chocolate mousse recipe? I have been searching for a really good choc. mousse filling. Thanks icon_smile.gif

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #20 of 33

How long do you make the cake in advance for the oreo filling? Will the cookie get soggy? I always wonder how do they keep the crunch.

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 33

thanks for all the responses! They all sound yummy! I think I would really like the peanut butter or mint as they are some of my favorites but leaning towards the raspberry as pink is a color in the wedding and I think they would work well in the white cake too. But the cookies and cream sounds yummy too. Am going to make that for my kids.
Christy

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #22 of 33

agree w/ PP's......whipped ganache........every time it gets an "OMG this is incredible"

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan

How long do you make the cake in advance for the oreo filling? Will the cookie get soggy? I always wonder how do they keep the crunch.

I've never had the cookies get soggy. I've had left over frosting in the fridge for more than a week and the cookies were still good. (I know, I know, how in the world did it last that long in the fridge without being eaten?! It must have been hidden.)

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #24 of 33

Thanks Avalyn. I'll try that. I'm really hungry right now icon_biggrin.gif

atwistedlime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atwistedlime Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:38pm
post #25 of 33

Nutella sounds fabulous. I think all my favorites are already listed but I will just reiterate. icon_biggrin.gif

Peanut Butter! Yum!
Coffee, Mint, cookies and cream, strawberries.

Pretty much anything that you would dip in chocolate or find in a chocolate bar sounds good to me.

I do LOVE the idea of PB and crunched up Reeces... this will have to be made and soon! Yum!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:16am
post #26 of 33

I just used it straight out of the jar and spread a thick layer. I live in Brisbane, Australia which means we have a warm climate so my Nutella is usually at a spreadable consistency when at room temperature. I have heard of other people making a Nutella buttercream but I'm not sure how they do it. I'd probably experiment by just adding nutella to the finished buttercream (and not adding the vanilla extract).

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:14am
post #27 of 33

hazelnut buttercream and chocolate ganache is what I am doing for my daughter's graduation cake

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:12pm
post #28 of 33

Pear mousse and After Eight ganche - yuuuuuuummmy

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

Pear mousse and After Eight ganche - yuuuuuuummmy

eggensinnig, After Eight ganache sounds wonderful! Would you mind if I ask how you adjust for the after eights? Do you just sub them for chocolate by weight? How different is the texture of your ganache since the after eights have mint filling?

Thanks so much!

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:45am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

Or to really kick it up a notch...caramel with pecans chopped up...make sure no nut allergies though or let everyone know it contains nuts.

I LOVE caramel with pecans! Would you mind sharing your recipe for this filling?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%