Feather Boa On A Cake Board? Help!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 13 May 2010 , 11:49pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 7

I had the bright idea to put one of those feather boas on a fondant covered cake board. It goes perfect with the cake that I am making and I have seen lots of cakes with feather boas. But the dang thing is shedding all over creation! How do I prevent feathers from getting in the cake?

6 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 7

the really cheap ones shed like crazy, I check them carefully before I buy them

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 7

Could you run it through the clothes dryer with no/low heat to get the loose feathers off??

Melissas_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissas_Cakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 7

most craft stores sell fabric trim that are similar to boas and available in most colors, maybe those wont shed as much since they are inteded to be trim on a garment. just a thought.

aarklay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aarklay Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 7

I'm wondering if you could spray it lightly with some kind of fixative? Let it dry really well before putting it on though, don't want any residue of it on the cake. I don't know, just a thought.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe spray starch? That should take out the static. if you don't have any its only about a buck at the dollar store or you can borrow some from an elderly neighbor! LOL icon_lol.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys! I may try spraying it with hairspray. Its not going to touch the cake since its just around the cake board so I guess its okay. Better that than feathers in the cake right?! Is there anyone who has used the feather boa before? I got it at Michaels, if that makes a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%