How To Make Black Color Chocolate

Sugar Work By Kookie Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 2:56pm by leah_s

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 14

How do you make black color chocolate?
Do you add black color in melting brown chocolate or white chocolate?
Thanks.

13 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure, but I would definitely add black to the brown chocolate, because the white would probably never turn completely black.

However, Wilton does make black candy melts, which would be even easier if you have access to them.

HTH

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #3 of 14

millermom,
Buying black chocolate is much easier than making one.
I have black coloring but maybe I will buy one bag of wilton black candy melt.
Thanks.

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 14

I know this is late to the game, but I wanted to add that I needed some black choc clay so I kneaded in some black candy color into brown clay. I needed 3 containers of the oil to finally get the clay to turn a very dark brown (but not actually black). Having added so much coloring completely changed the texture of the clay and I could only roll it out a couple of inches before it started cracking. Also, I couldn't roll it out even remotely thin. I figured the problem was the clay had been overworked from stirring so much.

The next time I needed black clay I decided to add the color at the point of melting the choc (before stirring in the corn syrup). It still needed a lot of color to get dark (again, never turning black), but I didn't have to work it as much so I thought I had solved the issue. Not so. When it was time to use it the clay was also grainy and hard to roll out. Much less so than the first batch I made, but definitely not as easy to work with as all the other clays I make and work with.

Since I am most definitely not a chocolatier I figured it was my lack of knowledge so I stopped in to my local custom chocolate shop and talked to the owner and he told me that it's impossible to male black choc (not clay, just chocolate) because the color turns purple overnight from fading. He said the best he can get is a really dark brown.

I have no idea if what he told me is correct, but from my personal experience, black is a really hard color to achieve and once you get the color the end product is really hard to work with.

I'd love to hear if others have a better method in case I ever need black again because I've never seen black Wilton melts at my local store.

The_Puzzler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Puzzler Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:14am
post #5 of 14

Hi,
I found this helpful. I made black and red fondant using the candy melts instructions.

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-color-fondant-to-deep-rich-hue.html

Good luck!

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 14

Wow! Thanks you-that's very helpful.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

Thanks.

You add black color to brown chocolate. Candy melts are not chocolate. Chocolate makes modeling chocolate. Candy melts makes candy clay.

tracylv68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracylv68 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 14

I tried to make black the other night.. OMG, what a mess!! used a lot of black and I started with dark chocolate too. It just crumbled.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 14

If you are colouring chocolate you can't use regular colours or the chocolate will sieze, it needs to be oil based or powder colours.
Depending on why you need black chocolate, maybe it would be easier to use a transfer sheet?
xx

tracylv68 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 14

I just used gel colours... I cannot get powdered here, will have to order in. This was my 1st attempt at this. Which coloring is the correct one to use???

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:59am
post #11 of 14

oil based or powdered colours will work, they should say they are for chocolate. if your looking online and its nto clear, you should be able to call the company. im in the uk, so i dont know what brand names you will have in the states.
xx

tracylv68 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you both for the help. I will be researching this online now to see what I can find.

tasu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasu Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 14

I just buy black candy melts from CK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%