Help! Advice On Traveling With A Cake....

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 13 May 2010 , 9:10pm by CakesbyOma

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I am doing a cake for a family gathering, we leave tomorrow to drive down to FL (From NC) - about 10 hours drive.

I will have some time to finish putting the cake together Saturday morning. The cake will be 4 tiers - each tier is 2 layers, basic stacked. WASC cake, Nutella Filling, and Buttercream covering.
The question is... what would be better, should i just wrap each layer in plastic wrap then build when there.... or should I / would it be beneficial to make the tiers up before (filling and light crumb coat).

Once we arrive tomorrow...I was planning to put the cake together completely, sans a few details, because Saturday morning we have a 2 hour drive to the actual gathering.

I wanted to make sure there was enough time for the cake to settle, so that i don't have issues with bulging on the buttercream, that and just getting everything there safe!

Any advice/ input, packing recommendations... I'd be grateful!!!

THA

1 reply
CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 2

OK, I don't live in your climate but our summers can get extremely hot. When I have to travel with food, I do the following: round up friends and neighbours and borrow some coolers. Get some dry ice. Tort, ice and crumb coat each tier, wrap in plastic and freeze. Just before you leave, put each layer in the cooler and go. Do NOT lift lid of cooler until you get to your destination. Then put cakes in fridge, without plastic wrap. Then go for it on Sat morning, decorate it and you'll be fine. If you have a 2 hour drive on Sat, I would suggest two large boxes, with 2 layers in each box and put the two sections together on site. Hope this helps, this method works for me on 12 hours drives (with 3 kids and two dogs!!) Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%