Today And Tomorrow Are The Big Days For Me. Help!!

Decorating By felin Updated 16 May 2010 , 11:04pm by JulieMN

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:16am
post #31 of 52

I NEVER refrigerate my cakes. Why do you need to just because it's crumbcoated? icon_confused.gif The crumbcoat seals your cake. It will be fine left out of the fridge. thumbs_up.gif

felin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felin Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #32 of 52

Ok, whew! I did leave it out of the frig. To keep it out of direct air, I just set it down into a cardboard box and closed the top. Left icing out as well. Just covered it in saran wrap. Pushed the saran wrap down to where it was touching icing so no air could get to it.

Finished assembling and crumb coating one of the cakes last night. Will be doing 2 cakes now as that is how things have turned out.

You are all wonderful to help.

Thanks!

Not so sure I'll post pictures. I would be pretty embarrassed as these are going to look like homemade and not anywhere NEAR professional. My sis, thank God, will be very fine with that. I had to realize that last night and let it all go. My square, on the first cake, is not all even. Oh well. 'Twill look homemade from the heart. Ha!!

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:37pm
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by felin

Oh well. 'Twill look homemade from the heart. Ha!!

That's all that matters! We still would love to see pics! icon_smile.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #34 of 52

Sounds like you are well on your way! Regarding the uneven square...Forgot to suggest that you cut a square template out of cardboard and use that as a guide for cutting the square. You could still do that for the other cake(s).

Maybe you can even out the first cake with frosting....put it on a little thicker in some areas so that the over all look is square. Doing that, no one will know the cake inside is uneven once it's been frosted, and some lucky guests will get a little more delicious frosting than others!! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #35 of 52

JohnnyCakes has a good idea. Icing your cake a little thicker in a few places to hide inperfections thumbs_up.gif Since you haven't iced the other two you could level them and cut them straight using the cardboard "pattern" as a guide. If it doesn't matter to you then I wouldn't worry with it.

Hope the wedding goes well and your cakes taste wonderful.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #36 of 52

Robin, that little trick (thicker frosting) gets me out of a lot of sticky situations! I can bake the same recipe 100 times to perfection and then for no apparent reason, it has a mind of its own on time 101 and turns out a mess! Cake decorating is all about smoke and mirrors!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

As for using the template to cut the cakes into perfect squares...you don't have to, BUT......if you have the time, why not make them as perfect as possible? And it really would probably take less time that way than trying to cut them straight by eyeing them. And it's less to hide with frosting plus it's great practice. thumbs_up.gif (And I'd much rather practice on my sister's cake - who doesn't really care - and gain the experience, than on a clients cake.) icon_eek.gif

felin Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:20am
post #37 of 52

Must/Should I wait until the very last minute to put the fresh flowers on top of cake?
Wedding is at 2 pm.

Thanks.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:54am
post #38 of 52

Cakes all done??

You don't have to wait until the last second, but I would wait and put them on wherever the reception is being held. No need to transport the cakes with flowers already on them, and it won't take long to apply them on site.

If I can offer one more piece of advice...Take some extra frosting with you, put a dab on the bottom of each flower, and then place the flower on the acetate or wax paper (or whatever you're using to keep the flowers from touching the cakes). That will "glue" the flowers down and you won't have to worry that they'll fall off. And you can also remove the acetate and flowers at the same time before cutting the cake.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:02pm
post #39 of 52

So Felin, how was the wedding? How did the cakes turn out??

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #40 of 52

I'd like to know too. How'd it go?

felin Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #41 of 52

Well, I've decided to go ahead and post a picture of my cake. I made sooo many mistakes, but Oh well. Johnnycakes...I did, in fact, place wax paper down over the entire top and then got the idea in my head to frost over the top of the wax paper, which I did. I also just figured out on my own to use the frosting as glue on the ends of each flower, etc. Didn't know when to place flowers on cake so did so at home and transported it that way. That part was crazy. My other sis drove and I had the cake on it's pedastal at my feet, having to hold onto it the full 45 minutes. Ouch for my back. Ha!

It is nothing even remotely close to what you professionals can and know how to do, but it was still pretty and my sis loved it. She said beforehand that she didn't even care if I just made it like usual, which is basically just a homemade 3 layer cake.

The wedding was beautiful and so was the day.

Anyhoo, here 'tis.
LL

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #42 of 52

I think it turned out very nice! you should give yourself a big pat on the back! thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #43 of 52

Your cake looks beautiful!!!!! You did a great job!!!!! Congratulations!!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #44 of 52

Congratulations on completing the cake. You did a great job for such little notice. I think it turned out just beautiful. Glad the whole day went well. Now you're ready for your next one!! LOL

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #45 of 52

Glad you posted the picture! Congrats on a beautiful cake! And don't short-change yourself...You did a great job and should be proud! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:07pm
post #46 of 52

Oh...And I love the small square base the cake is sitting directly on. That's the finishing touch that a ribbon would have provided and "grounds" the cake (to my eye, anyway!). Good idea and great job!

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #47 of 52

Your cake looks awesome thumbs_up.gif Thanks for posting the photo. I knew you could do it icon_biggrin.gif

felin Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #48 of 52

You guys are all very sweet.

My hats are soooo off to you all!!!

We are each gifted in different ways and professional cake making takes a very special type of person. I am definitely not one of them.

I have a new-found respect, INDEED, for all that you guys do. I'd no idea how intricate and detailed such a job was and....how many special devices and tools you need (of which, I had NONE, ha).

My view of cake makers has been forever changed. I've always loved the idea of cake making as the creative part seems so fun, however, the precision part, for me, anyhow, is just way too stressful. I guess if I had the right tools and more importantly the right frosting, perhaps I could get better at this, but for now I am saying that that was my first and likely my last.

The one thing that I did learn that I will take with me and use forever is doing a crumb coating. Never knew about that and love it!!

Again, my hats off to you all. You are special people!!

Blessings!!

Mindy (my real name) icon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:01pm
post #49 of 52

Mindy, it's a lovely cake! YOu did a really great job! Thanks for posting the pic!

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #50 of 52

I use plastic wrap between the frosting and flowers. I fold it into a square so there is a few thicknesses and then put some buttercream on top of it and stick the flower stems into that. You just simply lift off the plastic wrap with frosting and flowers on it and then serve the cake.

Is there someone who you could borrow the pans from? It would really be worth it.

DianaJJ

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #51 of 52

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that it was already done. Very good job!

DianaJJ

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #52 of 52

Mindy, you did a great job! I bet your sister absolutely loved it. Not only very pretty, but a very personal offering of your time and talent. Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%