Duff Level Cake Ideas Needed Pls

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 14 May 2010 , 2:24am by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hoping to get a bit of brainstorming with fellow CC'ers on this one, as I have some pieces of ideas, but want to find a way to tie together.

I've been honored with the opportunity to create a big cake for a local church's 10th anniv. of their fundraiser golf tournament. This year, the tourni has been reformatted to be a higher caliber program, bigger prizes, and is at a beautiful country club.

Originally designed a large, carved sheet style to replicate a green, rough and sand trap, with 4"-7" model conifers, and a fondant plaque for the inscription (this is a nutshell description). My contact, who is paying for this cake personally, really liked it and was ready to book. But now he's decided he wants to REALLY wow everyone and told me to take it to "Duff level" as he said. He doesn't want me to feel held back, and to try something big and impressive. icon_eek.gif

I thought of building a duplicate of the c.c. clubhouse with the correct fairway, but then felt that would reflect the c.c. more than the church tourni. Maybe an entire fairway from tee box to pin, instead.

So...throw those Duff-level ideas at the wall and let's see what sticks! I'm ready! icon_biggrin.gif Love you guys!

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 6

Are they throwing a Duff level paycheck at you??

I know that sounds bad, but if they are expecting a Duff cake for a Walmart price, you may want to consider what you are willing to donate.

I just wanted to add that the first thing that comes to mind is a nice 3d golf bag.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Are they throwing a Duff level paycheck at you??

I know that sounds bad, but if they are expecting a Duff cake for a Walmart price, you may want to consider what you are willing to donate.

I just wanted to add that the first thing that comes to mind is a nice 3d golf bag.

Ditto to everythign she just said, and his your Church or the tournament have some sort or symbol or logo incorporate that on the Golf bag. After you find out they are paying a Duff rate too!

Swede-cakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 6

Oh yeah...Duff level paycheck. It's definitely a paid order and not a donation. icon_biggrin.gif I like the golf bag idea. That could look VERY cool! Ty!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

That's what I was kinda thinking too. It's a fundraiser? So I'm assuming you're donating the cake?

Unless they're going to total advertise that you supplied the cake (I'm talking signs, perhaps some napkins with your business name on them, several announcements from MCs that you are there) and you have the opportunity to hand out your business cards/flyers/etc, then I would say go for it. If you can pull it off it would be great advertisement.

Or if they're paying for the cake and willing to pay Duff fees (which I hear is $1000 minimum).

But if it's a donation and you're won't be able to advertise that you supplied the cake. Well, I would kindly remind them that you're already booked for that weekend and you've only allotted an amount of time to cover you're original design idea. And your original design sounds amazing enough.

EDIT: facepalm. Just saw your last post. Honestly it wasn't there when I started replying!! GO FOR IT!!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!

oh, you need ideas.

3D golf bag. You said it was a church tournament? Did you want it to be more about the church? Perhaps you could get in touch with the pastor and ask him what his fave scripture is. Then if you do a golf bag, you could have a towel on it that has the scripture. I always thought Romans 1:16-17 is great.

Swede-cakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

Good advice, Rose_N_Crantz. They are indeed paying. thumbs_up.gif

I like the 3-D golf bag idea, and will present that as one option. Anyone have anything else? Please? I'm stuck on the fairway idea but there has to be something my brain just isn't thinking of.

Thanks CC'ers!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%