How Can I Make This For My Cake?

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:55pm by Oh-la-la

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a bridal shower cake to match this purse. I am trying to figure out the best way to make the peacock feather. I thought about piping it, but I'm not sure how that will look.

Any other suggestions?[/img]
LL

6 replies
Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe make thin ropes of fondant or gum paste and roll them on a towel to get a similar texture. You might also be able to use modeling chocolate. I have found that if you roll modeling chocolate too thin it gets really soft, but if you pop it in the fridge (or even roll it thinner in the fridge) it will hold up better and you can get really thin ropes.

Just one idea. Hope it helps

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 7

wow! i'm nervous just looking at that!! ha ha, i've just tried my first logo last night and i cut it out of MMF. i had considered a FBCT but am not that confident yet. that might be something you could try? but with the detail, piping with RI might be your best bet. good luck! can't wait to see it!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh-la-la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oh-la-la Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

On a dry fondant surface you could try painting the lines with glue, then sprinkling with gold dust. Let it dry, and gently blow away the excess dust.

ttehan4 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 7

I love the idea on the glue and dust. I'll practice it on something first.

Thanks for the ideas all!

ttehan4 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 7

Here is what I ended up with. I piped the feather with buttercream then painted over it. The center was kind of like brush embrodery. I hated the purse in the beginning, but once it was finished it ended up being my favorite purse cake yet. The client loved it too!

We'll it wont post, but its in my pics.

Oh-la-la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oh-la-la Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 7

your cake turned out really nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%