Can I Freeze A Cake Covered In Ganache?

Decorating By pankake Updated 13 May 2010 , 11:18am by mamawrobin

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #1 of 6

HI there,

I am doing my mum's 50th birthday cake but am a bit restricted for time. can ganash be frozen or does it change the chocolate too much?

I was thinking about making the cakes and covering them in ganache, so all I will have to do is defrost them then cover in fondant.

Does anyone know if this would work?

Thanks

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure but I noticed that you are in Australia. Bluehue gives alot of advise on ganache and she's also in Australia. You could pm her and I'm sure she can answer your question and wouldn't mind doing so.

I usually just cover mine with ganache and fondant in the same day since it doesn't take very long for the ganache to set. I understand that you are trying to save on time though.

Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 6

Ive frozen cake with ganache and fondant and that worked really well, but only ganache I'm not sure. In my experience i tends to change consistency after freezing, going dry and fragile somehow. But when fondant covered it was still looking and tasting godd

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:30am
post #4 of 6

Bluehue definitely has a lot of great advice on staying true to ganache and its recipes and intended storage conditions. That said, I find that ganache freezes beautifully. Although I have never frozen it after applying it to an actual cake, I freeze it for storage all of the time. Regardless of whether or not it is proper procedure, I haven't found it to alter the compostion of my ganache. I would chill it first to harden it, then wrap it carefully so that the ganache does not get freezer burnt.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:34am
post #5 of 6

Hello Pankake -
Yes you can freeze it, just wait till the ganache firms up and then place a piece of glad oven bake paper on the top, then wrap in about 3 - 4 layers of glad wrap.
Gently smoothing down the sides so as you have pushed out any excess air.
When its time to cover and decorate - just take out the nght before you need it and leave sitting on your kitchen bench.... still wrapped.
It will be fine.

I have done this when pushed for time.

Any left over ganache can be put ino an iar tight container and frozen for a month also.

Hello mamawrobin - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:18am
post #6 of 6

Hello Bluehue icon_smile.gif I knew you could help. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%