New Fondant/gum Paste Tools

Decorating By mayo2222 Updated 13 May 2010 , 1:17pm by dalis4joe

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 8

I'm in the market for new fondant tools and I was just curious what brand everyone else uses. Thanks!

7 replies
gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #2 of 8

I have three of the tappit letter sets and I really love the Funky alphabet ones.

I also have a clay gun and it's great for making ropes.

I just got a Wilton call lily former and am anxious to try that, but all my time this week is dedicated to my new toy, the Cake Cricut. icon_biggrin.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:02am
post #3 of 8

I use FMM cutters and Patchwork cutters a lot.

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:53am
post #4 of 8

Where can we find more info on how to use the Patchwork cutters...they look pretty neat!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 8

Stephen Benson.... at GSA... Lindy Smith.... they both have incredibly beautiful cutters very detailed and unique... and their cakes are a sample of how amazing is the look when using their cutters....

hth

PS.... if u want tools to work with the fondant.... no sugar tools..go to Home Depot or Lowe's (hardware store) buy PVC pipe (less than $5) instead of a fondant roller ($20), Fabiric Store for a vynil mat ($3 - $5 a yard) instead of a silicone mat ( $50), also try looking at clay tools... they are a bit more affordable and work just as good.... play dough tools... Michael's for wall stencils ( $6 ) instead of designer stencils ( $70 for a set ).... it's crazy i know

icon_smile.gif
hth

I found all this out AFTER is spent 100's on stuff that is just sitting on my cabinets... because I found better replacements for less money...

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 8

I am ALL about stealin my kids playdoh stuff... LOL

I hadnt thought about the fabric store for the vinyl mat.. do you just buy it off the roll?/

I had the wilton rolling mat from hell, but could NEVER get it clean, it was creased, it wouldnt lay flat.. I took great pride in cutting it up and then throwing it away... (yes- I have a sadistic streak at times.... )

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry - my fault for not being more specific, but I am specifically interested in what brands of modeling tools (i.e. ball tool, scriber, etc) everyone uses.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

I am ALL about stealin my kids playdoh stuff... LOL

I hadnt thought about the fabric store for the vinyl mat.. do you just buy it off the roll?/

I had the wilton rolling mat from hell, but could NEVER get it clean, it was creased, it wouldnt lay flat.. I took great pride in cutting it up and then throwing it away... (yes- I have a sadistic streak at times.... )

Yeah... they have a big roll and u just ask for the length u need... don't get the think one though... it's the medium thick one... not the tickest either.... it's a lot better than the mat (I have TWO!!) spent the $ and I still had to use shortening and at time PS...so I tried the vinyl mat and it's so much better....

I saw the cakers from FN Challenge using them also... icon_smile.gif
and the PVC pipe too....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%