Duff Cake Products?

Decorating By tgoodaker Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:41pm by colabear71

tgoodaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgoodaker Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #1 of 14

Has anyone tried any of the Duff products? I was surprised to see them at Michael's today - they were completely rearranging the cake decorating aisles. I'm specifically wondering about the rolled fondant - taste, consistency...

13 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 14

another recent post about his fondant. I made a comment about the brand it is.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6814704-.html#6814704

tgoodaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgoodaker Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks!! I did a search for it, but didn't find anything.

TG

cakemadam21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemadam21 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 14

I just bought some at Michael's yesterday, it's pretty tasty haven't used yet, will today though. It is EXPENSIVE-$19.99 for 2 lbs. but I had a 40% off coupon which brought it down to $11 and some change....

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 14

Hmmmm....our Michaels stores in San Antonio so far are not carrying it.

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 14

I just bought some Duff fondant today. I actually was suprised too becuase I purchased Wilton fondant from the Michael's by my work and later had to return it because it was dried out. I went to the Michael's by my house and they were rearraging and there was no Wilton fondant, only Duff. I bought the white buttercream 2 lb tub (with the 40% coupon). I think it is fonderific buttercream flavored fondant. It tastes really good and is nice to work with. I colored it a bunch of different colors. It held the colors well, got just a bit gummy when making black and deep red (because of all the gel food coloring i was using). I'm glad there are more choices at Michael's.

cakemadam21 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, the color I bought was black....

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 14

I saw these at Michaels the other night. The "cake kits" looked pretty cheesy (obviously not for decorators) but I may give his fondant a try, as long as I have a coupon handy. He also had a brand of gel colors for sale, but I don't know how I feel about those.

heycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycake Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 14

I bought some to use on my dd's birthday cake. I was making a gumball machine and wanted it to be red but did not want to attempt to make red mmf. After making myself pay the $20 ( still mad about that) because I had no coupons at the time I told myself that the convenience would be worth it.

Well, I'm sure that it was operator error but I had an absolutely terrible time with that fondant. I'm not sure if my kitchen was too warm or I rolled it to thin but it just shredded apart when I tried to put it on the cake. I am a hobby baker and don't have tons of experience with fondant but it did not seem like any great product to me. I've had better luck with my mmf, pettinice and (gasp!) Wilton. I ended up ripping it off and then making pink mmf which worked great for me, as usual. So, Duff's fondant cost me time and money which makes me twice as mad! icon_smile.gifthumbsdown.gif

cakemadam21 Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 14

OH NO!!!!!! I'll post how mine works out!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 14

My Michaels was rearranging the cake dec aisle yesterday, and should have it finished this weekend in time for their Friends/Family sale, lol! His impression mats are 2/$4.99 which is awesome. I'd never spend that much on fondant, though, unless it was a world-ending emergency! I'm used to making MMF...so, fondant on the cheap. But, they didn't have anything else out when I went yesterday...I'm anxious to see all of his stuff!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 14

I bought some yesterday and finished the cake up last night. It worked great for me. With a coupon it is a decent price. You should try it. I used the red and blue. I love having options and not having to pay for shipping or have discolored hands for a week from making my own red!
Here is a link to my cake using Duff's fondant.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1682301

cakemadam21 Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 14

I did use the black Duff's fondant and not only did it taste good it worked wonderfully just as well. You do have to give it a good kneading to warm it up though. I loved it but I would never buy it at full price!

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 14

I found the Duff fondant at the local Michael's and decided to try it... as I had a 40%, otherwise the $19.99 for 2 lbs. is a little expensive. When I opened the container, I was surprise at what I found. The fondant was rock hard, not just hard, but rock hard. And it wasn't solid white. It has specks of pink and blue in it. It looks like someone mixed a bunch of sprinkles throughout the fondant.

I am going to return it this afternoon. Not sure yet if I will get a replacement or just forget about it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%