Where To Find Bubble Tea Straws

Decorating By mommybaker602 Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 2:51pm by sccandwbfan

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 36

Okay, so I have a cake order for Monday. I need to find some bubble tea straws, but have not been able to find them at any of the regular grocery stores. I even tried a health food market, thinking they'd have the special drink these things are used for. Would a party supply store carry them?

TIA!

35 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 36

Hi

I asked that also... was told of course online but also in your local chinese markets....

hth

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 36

McDonalds and Zaxbys both have nice, sturdy straws that you can use in a pinch. Usually they don't mind letting you have a few.

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 36

I'm sorry this won't help you for Monday, but FYI I ordered mine online from ecrater http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4772900 I got the 8" ones, I think about 50 in a pack, and they combined my shipping so I got 2 packs for maybe $6 or $7 total. [/url]

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 36

Try your local Asian supermarkets; that's where I get mine from. They usually cost .79 to a 1.00 a bag.

cookiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedecorator Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 36

Yup, I agree...try an Asian market.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 36

I picked up a box of 600 for $12 at a party and paper goods supply store.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #8 of 36

I order mine on Amazon. They're pretty inexpensive and arrive quickly.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #9 of 36

If you are in PA, the "Restaurant Store" carries them.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 36

I found them at Joannes in their seasonal aisle. They were $5.00 for 50 of them...I know ebay has them too, but that won't help you for Monday...I know some of the local malls around here have a bubble tea shop in them...maybe you could buy or ask for a few from them...just a thought...someone said that burger king also has wider straws...not sure about that, I don't ever eat there...

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I picked up a box of 600 for $12 at a party and paper goods supply store.

I am about 15 minutes away from you - do you mind telling me what store you found them at? I got some today about 30 of them for 1.99

Thanks!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #12 of 36

I picked them up at G T French on Montrose in Niagara Falls. You have to order them, but they don't take long to come in. They also have cake boards at a reasonable price.

cakebaker64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker64 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #13 of 36

I don't want to sound dumb, but what are bubble tea straws and what do you use them for?

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:06pm
post #14 of 36

Thanks everyone! We only have 1 Asian food market (or so I've heard!) around, and it's about 30 minutes from me. I'm going to try the McDonald's straws. Those are fatter and thicker than normal straws that you buy. I did try our party supply store, and they didn't have them...the guy I spoke with told me to go get some from the tea shop (like a cafe)! I'm going to order them from amazon, I think, and just have them on hand. I don't do a ton of stacked cakes, but they don't take up much room, so I'll go ahead and get them.

To the last poster: bubble tea straws are thicker, fatter straws that people use as supports in a stacked cake. I'm doing a 6" on top of an 8" for Sunday night (she changed the pick-up date!), so I think straws will be fine. If I was going to do something bigger, I'd most likely do something more stout, but I think they will be fine for this. You can google it, or look up "bubble tea straws" on amazon and see what it is.

Babycakes30265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babycakes30265 Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:29pm
post #15 of 36

Hi,
I was in a similar pinch not too long ago. I looked over at the gerbera daisies that were brightening my island, and they have those straw supports on the stems -- really thick like a bubble straw - even thicker than the fast food straws. I washed them in warm soapy water and used them!! Maybe you could check with your local supermarket florist for these. HTH!!

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 36

Babycakes30265, I saw those Gerbera straws a couple of weeks ago in a florist supply shop but I wasn't sure if they were food grade plastic. I ended up ordering mine online but it would have been much easier just to buy them locally. I think mine actually came from Thiland.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 36

I get mines fromm ebay very cheap by the box fulls

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 36

OK - this will be a stupid question...what are bubble tea straws...I've seen them mentioned on CC but not exactly sure about them. I'm assuming they are for supports? Are they strong enough? Whay are they called bubble tea?
THANKS!! This is my lesson for today! icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #19 of 36

I ordered mine from www.nutsonline last time and the service was awesome. They even sent me a pack of cookies for free and they were delicious!! They were a l.99 for a pack of 40.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #20 of 36

Thanks to those of you for the information on where to order icon_smile.gif . I'm not able to get them in my area so I order a wide drinking straw thru a friend that owns a catering business and resturant. The ones that I use look much like the McDonald's straws and have worked just fine for me. I do however want to order the bubble tea straws and give them a try.

MsDonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsDonna Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #21 of 36

I too got mine at nutsonline.com. They came very quickly AND I got a delicious cookie gift.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #22 of 36

I have heard Sharon Zambito talk about Bubble Tea straws on all of her DVDs but didn't know why they were called that, so I looked it up to satisfy my curriosity. Here's the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

thumbs_up.gif

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #23 of 36

cakebaker64 and KerrieD

bubble tea straws are used in place of a dowel. If you have seen Ace of Cakes They use them in there cakes. you would see Duff cutting them and they would go flying around the room. here are some photos of them:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rlz=&q=bubble+tea+straws&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=bAXsS7DwJYSglAfjrbW2CA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQrQQwAA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimberlyjennery/449214336/in/set-72157600053256392/

if you check out the Step-By-Step 3D Cake Sculpting (Baby in a Flower Pot) cake
she uses the straws:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/104/step-by-step-3d-cake-sculpting-baby-in-a-flower-pot

those are just some that i could find

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #24 of 36

I am new to baking and was looking for something easier to cut than wooden dowels. Are these bubble straws used for support like dowels?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #25 of 36

Yes. Since I started using straws I've never cut another dowel. Love them thumbs_up.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #26 of 36

Ok, bubble straw users, how many tiers would you consider safe with the straws????

Would like to try them..... I have also heard that you could shake tapioca pearls in a baggie with pearl dust or luster dust and use them as pearl decorations on cake. Havent found any to try it yet. I am going to try my asian mkt.

cookiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedecorator Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #27 of 36

Yes, an Asian market is the right place to find both bubble tea straws and tapioca pearls. My daughter gets both there all the time.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #28 of 36

Does anyone live and get them in Laurel MD? I have been looking for it without success too.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedecorator

Yes, an Asian market is the right place to find both bubble tea straws and tapioca pearls. My daughter gets both there all the time.

On that note, you guys MUST try making bubble tea! It is one of my favorite hot weather treats. I make green bubble tea this way:

1) Boil some water. Throw in a handful of large, black tapioca pearls (bought at the Asian market for about $1.95 a bag). Boil for 5-6 mins.

2) Drain the pearls in warm water. Throw them in a bowl with a large handful of sugar. Add enough water to cover them. This is your base.

3) Mix a little bit of hot milk with a few teaspoons of green tea powder (matcha powder, also bought at the Asian market). Mix well. Add a whole bunch of cold milk. Keep this in a pitcher in your fridge.

To make bubble tea, just take a little of the syrup water and tapioca balls and spoon them into a glass. Add the green tea milk and enjoy! This can also be done with splenda for a sugar-free version. If anyone is interested, try going to YouTube for a tutorial on making bubble tea. The thick straws are essential. The tapioca pearls go up the straw and you chew them as you drink your cold green tea. Some people make fruitier versions, but my favorite is still the green tea version which is healthy!

KristyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyM Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #30 of 36

I was at our Walmart Neighborhood grocery store (not super walmart) the other day and saw milkshake straws. They looked about the same width as a bubble tea straw would be but I'm not sure if they are as sturdy. Has anyone seen or tried these?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%