Fresh Roses- How Many?

Decorating By mazdamoose Updated 13 May 2010 , 5:09am by mazdamoose

mazdamoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazdamoose Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

My first wedding cake is down to a week away now! I was just curious is anyone had any ideas about how many roses to buy to put in between the tiers. I am doing a 4-tier cake, so there will be 3 spaces for fresh roses. My MIL is buying the roses from Costco and I just have no idea what to guesstimate to buy. I should have about 3 inches in between (i'm using the SPS pillars). Anyone who has done this and has any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

It really comes down to a little math. You don't say what size tiers you are using, this will determine the circumference that you are trying to cover.

So if you are filling under a 6" cake, your circumference would be the diameter times pi (3.14) so for the 6" it would be 18.84 inches around.

Then you have 3" high gap. You will also need to know the height of the roses you will be getting. If they are not open and only about 2" in diameter then you'll end up needing two rows to fill in, but if they are really large roses and larger than 3" in diameter then you will only need one row and few roses to fill in the 18.84" around the cake.

I hope this isn't to confusing, but I can't give you an exact number with out knowing the tier sizes you're using (or that you are trying to fill in with roses) or what size the roses are (even approximate would be good)

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 5

And after you do the math, add a dozen or so because it is better to go home with a nice bouquet of roses then to not have enough for the cake, in my opinion.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

plus you can use any extra roses to pull the petals off and scatter on the table for decor.

mazdamoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazdamoose Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:09am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all! I am doing 14/12/10/8 inch square tiers. My husband is an engineer, so I will give him the math to do! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%