Please Help! Wedding Cake Pricing

Decorating By AmyMiller Updated 12 May 2010 , 9:45pm by Moondance

AmyMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyMiller Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I will be doing my first wedding cake for a friend of a friend in September. I am meeting with the bride this Saturday to go over details and talk pricing. I want to be prepared to give her a quote on the cakes she wants, but as I have never done a wedding cake before, I have no idea what to tell her. Could someone please help me or point me in the right direction?

There will be approximately 130 guests at the wedding. For the main cake she would like something similar to the first picture, but with simpler piping on the tiers. For the grooms cake she would like a Dallas Cowboy's version of the second picture and cupcakes similar to the third picture.

I am okay on pricing for the cupcakes as I do cupcakes often, but the cakes I am stuck on. Please help!!!

Thanks!!!
LL
LL
LL

4 replies
kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 5

Probably check with some local bakeries and see what they are charging because it depends on what area of the country you are in. Also figure in how much your ingredients will be to make the cake and make sure you get charged for your time. You don't want to spend 10 hours decorating and only get paid enough to cover your ingredients! Also clarify if the bride will be purchasing the flowers to put on the cake or if you are purchasing or making them.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 5

Is the main cake to serve 130, and then the groom's cake, plus cuppies extra?

Is the cake buttercream or fondant?
Looks like BC...GC looks like ganache?

Prices can be whatever you are comfortable withicon_smile.gif

I've read that some areas will have prices from as little as $1.50/serving, right on up to $9.00 or more/serving. Piping is time consuming too, so costs would be higher. It looks effortlessly gorgeous on a cake, though! icon_smile.gif

Flowers, chocolate covered strawberries, delivery can all be included or extra. Don't forget to add support, construction of base costs.

Don't forget your camera!!!
Take a picture or several when you get the cakes all set up at the venue.

Make arrangements for someone to meet you at the venue to "sign off" on receipt of the cake...that it is what was ordered, and no other issues.

Have fun!!! icon_smile.gif

AmyMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyMiller Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 5

To be honest I am not sure how many people the main cake is supposed to serve. This will be my first wedding cake, so I am unsure on sizing as well. Do I make the main cake big enough for 130 people and then have the grooms cake and cupcakes be extra? Or do I make the main cake smaller, say for 100 people, and then make the groom's cake big enough to make up the difference and then some? Is there a good reference somewhere for this kind of thing?

The main cake will be buttercream with simple piping on each tier. I am not sure about the flowers yet. I have asked the bride whether she (or her florist) will be providing them, or whether she is wanting me to get them, but I am still waiting on her reply. I do know that they will be fresh flowers, not gum paste. The groom's cake will be buttercream with ganache poured over the top/sides. The stars on both the groom's cake and the cupcakes will be made of fondant.

For reference I am in Texas.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Amymiller

I'm ot sure if this helps, it's an English guide to portion sizes - they may be different to the USA?

http://www.sweetsuccess.uk.com/portion_guide.asp

best of luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%