Can I Replace Buttercream Dots For Dragees?

Decorating By aprilblack Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:23am by QueenMo

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 7

hi, I have a quick question.. have a cake for Friday that is all white BC and has small black buttercream dots on the cake with some other black accents. Do you think that I could use black dragees in the place of the black buttercream dots without them bleeding on the white BC? If so, would you attempt it or do you think it would be a big PITA to do? Thanks for the input!! April

6 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 7

anyone?

JessieMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessieMay Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 7

No way...if it were me, I would definitely do the buttercream dots. It would be much less time consuming than hand placing dragees onto the cake. Just my opinion...

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 7

I think I've read before when putting Black BC decorations on White BC, make sure the white buttercream crusts first to help prevent the black bleeding onto the white. I agree that piping would be easier (and less of a mess) than dealing with drages.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 7

I also vote for BC dots. WAY faster!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

I agree, definitely the buttercream. I did a white cake with black dots last summer and it held up fine in hot outdoor weather. No bleeding at all. Just make sure you use a crusting buttercream.

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #7 of 7

BC all the way. the dragees would be a real PITA. they'd look nice and everything but no way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%