Whats The Best Way To Color A Large Amt Of Icing??

Baking By DamarisC Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:10am by madgeowens

DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

I have a two tiered cake (10" and 12" round) each one a different color (blue and green).. I am a newbie, therefore i do not know how to get large amounts of buttercream colored evenly.
when i frost the cake, there are streaks!

So, my question is, anyone willing to share how to color a large amount of Buttercream evenly, to where there are no streaks??

I hope my question makes sense!

Thanks guys

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

Streaks would be less of a concern to me compared to making sure that each small batch matched.

What I did, when I had to make multiple batches of a colored icing, was to make each batch and dump it in a large container. As I dumped each batch, I'd use a big spoon or a small hand mixer to blend each batch together, incorporating what may be varying shades of blue into one uniform blue.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 8

I mix each batch of icing in the mixer and then color it while it's still inthe mixer. Then as Indydebi said, if I have to make multiple batches they all go in one container and then stir together to make sure I get a consitent color.

DamarisC Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 8

Ok, so, your saying split at BC up into smaller batches and then Color a small batch at a time? and slowly incorporate the small batches into one big batch??

And here i was trying to color an entire big batch at one time!

I usually make a 5lbs powdered sugar batch at a time (which is my 'big' batch, lol!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamarisC

Ok, so, your saying split at BC up into smaller batches and then Color a small batch at a time? and slowly incorporate the small batches into one big batch??

This is assuming you want to make more icing than your mixer will hold in a single batch. If the mixer will make all you need, then by all means just make one batch and color that one batch.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 8

If you are getting streaks, then maybe you are not mixing it long enough for the color to incorporate into the icing. hth welcome to cc

DamarisC Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #7 of 8

Yeah, i am doing it all wrong!

what i was doing was making my bc, then take it out of my mixer and into a large bowl which usually fits 1.5 batches

then using gel coloring, trying to by hand, mix all the icing and was not mixing long enough to get all the color to incorporate, therefore leaving streaks! Ok, i feel a little silly right now, lol!

thank you all for your responses : )

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:10am
post #8 of 8

geeze don't feel silly......we all learn every day............and if we don't we stand still......just keep working at it and this time next year, send me an update on your progress.........you will be amazed how much you will learn by doing..........by the way.........I still get streaks in my butter cream if I am not careful.......which is too often lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%