Anyone Know Where I Can Find Gem Molds With The Points??

Sugar Work By mrsbriggs06 Updated 12 May 2010 , 7:14pm by mrsbriggs06

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 7

I've found tons of gem molds, but none that look like the gems that are sold (w/the pointed base / tip / end)...
i mean, they MUST exist b.c companies sell the ready made ones and they have points..

i don't think making a mold would work b/c i'd like many tiny gems.. not one large paperweight gem..

the only way i thought it might work would be to pour the make a mold stuff and push gems into it, leaving a thin layer on the top... then cutting a 'slice' down the length to pop them out and ...yeah.. .i don't even know...??

has anyone conquered this? or should i just suck it up and buy the premade ones?
who is the most reliable when it comes to clarity/lack of bubbles/best price/etc?

Thanks everyone!! I'm sorry to post yet another gem question with all the others on here, but I've literally been scouring here & the web all day with no luck. (though i did find a huge silicone hold for an ice cube that would replace using a craft paperweight to make your own mold.. but that link is long gone, lol.. sorry!!)

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 7

I'd like to know as well. The ones that are flat (like a side view) are easy to find. Where are the dimensional ones??

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

I purchased one on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It has 5 cavities on it and it makes the pointed diamond. It is a pain in the butt to use though. I wish I would of just purchased already made diamonds. HTH

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

khal- those are the ones i've seen.. the ones I'd love to get make the diamonds with the faceted top (that's what those make) but also with the "v" bottom..

i think i'm gonna bite the bullet and purchase for now... it looks like cakecrystals . com is the best price.. and they have free shipping at the moment....

Jaime-- if you have a link or the store name, that would be also.. i tried to check ebay, but people use so many different titles & tags for stuff that sometimes it can be hard to navigate..

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 7

what about making your own?

How would it be possible to pour the whole thing as one piece?

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 7

have you seen the decorators that do chocolate or sugar beads? they run a "slit" e/an exacto down the length of the mold, press in the string, and then after they fill & cool, they can pop out strands of beads..

i was thinking the same concept of a slit..

or having the flat (top) of the gem facing up, have the mold only as far as the facets on the top, with the top of the gem being the cut part you fill... and then once you fill the mold to the top, laying a piece of silicone (mat or something?) over so that it makes the top of the gem flat..

i know.. dream big, right? lol!

i may have to do some tinkering..

Quote by @%username% on %date%