Wilton Spray Mist - Help!

Decorating By suzyqqq27 Updated 23 Feb 2005 , 7:55pm by MrsMissey

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 4:40am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I'm doing a "popcorn" cake for an Oscars party on the weekend and I have a design I like (will be based on a fellow decorator's design at the Wilton site...she's okay with this). The trouble is that the popcorn is made of fondant and then airbrushed with yellow to make it look all buttery. I do not have an airbrush system. She said I would get the same results with Wilton Spray Mist. I have looked for this in the past and while we did have it a while ago (stupidly I never purchased any), it has been pulled off all the Bulk Barn and Michaels shelves here (I'm in Ontario, Canada)...something about it not passing our equivalent of the FDA; according to the guy at the Bulk Barn anyway.

Can you think of anything else that might work? I'm thinking of maybe watering down some yellow gel colour and using a spray bottle...do you think that would work?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Suzanne M.

5 replies
curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 4:51am
post #2 of 6

I was given the suggestion to use Betty Crocker Spray instead of Wilton. Maybe you can find that at your grocery store.

Cecilia

Here is the post

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=632&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=faded&&start=0

CakeReations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeReations Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 5:22am
post #3 of 6

I just used some watered down yellow food coloring in a pray bottle on my popcorn cake. It turned out fine. Just a back up plan for ya.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 6

...and if you want a shiny look, just mix some Wilton paste colors, with warm water and light Karo syrup in your spray bottle! icon_wink.gif

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 6

Mrs. Missey,

Thanks for the advice, however, I'm a little stumped. What is Karo syrup? I haven't heard of this. If I can find some...how much syrup do I use per water/colour mixture?

*Note: I just looked on-line and apparently Karo is just an American brand name for corn syrup. I have plenty of corn syrup so no need to answer that...just the ratio would be helpful.

Thanks for your help,
Suzanne M.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

..you're exactly right! Karo syrup is corn syrup! Unfortunately this is one a the few things I don't right down my exact measurements. I just mix up some warm water and add the color until I get the shade I need, then add the light (basically clear!) Karo syrup. You'll know if it's too thick because it won't flow thru your spray bottle, in that case mix in a little more warm water. The most important part is to make sure the water is warm so that it breaks down the syrup enough to flow! Sorry I can't be more specific but I hope this helps! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%