I Feel Broken Now..

Lounge By jayshunnie22 Updated 15 May 2010 , 9:37am by Curtsmin24

jayshunnie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayshunnie22 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 9

I just want to vent,here it goes..I went to school for baking and pastry last year and after 6months i pulled out because my dad had been helping me out and paying the 300bucks a month that financial aid and grants wouldnt pay but couldnt anymore plus i didnt feel like they were teaching me the things they said they would when i signed up (kinda felt tricked,this is the art institute by the way) anyhoo..well now every where i apply to says they want experience but if no one gives me a shot how can i get that?!?! soo.. i thought why not go back to school,they make you do a internship at the end so maybe who i do mines with would see my potential and hire me.well just spoke to a lady at my school and she said i will have to make monthly payments if i cant get a co signer to help me get a private loan.sucks because im 22 no credit and parents wont sign a loan and hubby has bad credit so basically im STUCK and hating life right now. all i want is to work in a bakery,learning and growing into the best cake designer i can be, id even clean floors at this point to get where i want in time.maybe this isnt my path though..

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 9

I am a self-taught decorator as are many on this site. I've worked for more than one bakery and I work part-time for a catering company. I have not been to school for any of this.

You said "all I want is to work in a bakery, learning and growing into the best cake designer I can be..." Then apply for a job at every bakery in your area. Even Wal-Mart and the grocery store bakeries. You don't need money for school to be able to work in a bakery and do what you love to do. The first bakery job I got I had absolutely NO experience. I'd only decorated cakes for my kids birthday. They gave me a cake and told me to decorate it and I got the job. I learned alot from that first job and it instilled in me the love of cake decorating.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

jayshunnie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayshunnie22 Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much, school didnt teach me much of anything about decorating everything i learned i learned on my own from reading tons of decorating books and going on different websites and trying new things,i just thought going back to school might be a easy in but its not looking that way.i just feel like theres so much more out there for me to learn form more experienced bakers.Im gonna take your advice because im good and hopefully someone see's that. and i really appreciate you taking the time to read my rant icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 9

If you don't know anything about decorating have you thought about taking the Wilton classes?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 9

the only advantage I've seen with having gone to school for this, is that you get to start out at a higher wage than someone just off the streets, but that in no way makes you more or less qualified than they are!

There are plenty of people who are self taught that could blow some pastry school students OUT of the water........but there are also a LOT of valuable things to be learned at a cullinary/pastry school (like the science behind baking).

You have to figure out what is feasible for YOU, if you can't get the schooling right now...then look for a job or even an internship somewhere else. I don't think you HAVE to be a student to do an internship! Ask around at local bakeries, see if they need help or would be interested in having you help out!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 9

Your cakes are great. especially your figurines. I think you should just keep on learning on your own, get a job at any bakery and that way your skills will continue to improve.

Good luck and keep your head up,

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:08am
post #7 of 9

Your work is really good. Perhaps you can make a little book of your pictures to bring when you apply. At least they'll see that you are serious about this as your career.

The other thing to look into is financial aid. I understand Obama's administration has put some 'back to school' plans in place for women.

Finally, the cycle you're in is a tough one that I think most people go thru (need experience to get a job....need a job to get experience). I agree with the PP...go to every bakery around and apply. It's a numbers game, the more you get your name out there, the better the chances are that someone will call.

Good Luck.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:23am
post #8 of 9

Hi

don't give up.... if you do stuff at home... I would do a portfolio of some type and go to th how to spell it, but..u know what I mean) with your background... what your strengths are and what a quick learner you are because of the love that you have for the art of cake decorating... sell yourself....

I know you will be able to get a job somehwere... just start thinking outside the box as t ohow u go about getting there...

Good Luck

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:37am
post #9 of 9

I agree with khalstead. The science behind baking is important. Did you try talking to a career counselor at the school?? They can help you find a job while your going to school and that could help you pay your tuition. The Art institutte is not focused on decorating at all. Mostly pastries and dessert baking. It trained my palate bigtime. By the time you finish you will know exactly what your eating and you won't touch anything that comes from a package. (I lost 20lbs) The bread class was phenomenal. Nothing tastes better than freshly baked bread. They teach you the fundamentals and what it really costs when it comes to purchasing items and all the "other stuff" regarding baking and business.

I was in your same position as you. The military paid my tuition, but I had to pay for my books. To me it was worth it and it was easier to get a job afterwards. They also do paid volunteer work. Where you go work an event and get paid. I did superbowl XLIII and got paid to make dessert buffets for football v.i.p. parties for a week. That was $650.00 in my pocket after taxes. I was watching Jordin Sparks and Kool and the gang perform live not even five feet away from me while I got paid. It was one experience that I never thought I would ever go through. I loved every minute of it and I realized that I wanted to be a pastry chef as much as I wanted to decorate cakes. I love both very much and now I offer more than just cakes. It's a lot of work but so worth it from my experience. Just know it is not necessary to go to school. If you have a good portfolio put together it helps. This was my experience and not everyone has the same experience. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%