Has Anyone Made Tequila Buttercream

Baking By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 12 May 2010 , 12:50pm by LindaF144a

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 3

I've had a request to make Margarita cupcakes for a (post) Cinco de Mayo party. I've never made them so looked online for a recipe. I found one that used margarita mix and tequila for the wet part of the batter. I made a test run and didn't like them. They came out too dense and chewy and either the margarita mix or tequila gave the cake a strange aftertaste. Also, the buttercream they suggested tasted more like Key Lime Pie than Margarita.

Typically, when I do cakes (or cupcakes) like this, I don't change the flavor of the cake, but let the frosting/filling do the job. So what I'm thinking is that I'll do a vanilla cupcake filled with Margarita filling (I'll have to come up with that recipe, but should be easy icon_biggrin.gif ), maybe brush Margarita syrup on top, then frost with tequila buttercream with just a hint of lime.

So all that to ask: Has anyone here ever made Tequila Buttercream? I make a rum buttercream that is amazing, but not sure how tequila will work and don't want to ruin a batch of buttercream to find out.

THANKS!

2 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:43am
post #2 of 3

I think a lime/tequila mix would be good in a SMBC...shot of tequilla, lime zest and lime juice....maybe even a touch of triple sec....would think you would want to use a higher end tequila for a good smooth taste.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 3

If you happened to see Bodacious Bakeries on TLC this past Monday, one of the bakeries made a tequila frosting. Basically he put the tequila in the frosting (none of the alcohol burns off in the frosting BTW) and he wanted just a hint of the taste. In the show they showed he put 1 shot for the whole batch of frosting, but you can do it to your personal taste.

I would make the cupcakes a lime flavor, or at least citrus. My margaritas are made with a combo of lemon, lime and orange juice. But the traditional margarita would have a lime taste.

Also don't forget the salt. You could either sprinkle just a teeny tiny bit on the frosting to give a hint of it. Or you could sprinkle sugar on the frosting to give the crunchiness of the salt without the salty flavor. I believe this is what they did in the BB show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%