Black Buttercream

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 11 May 2010 , 3:01pm by jdelaney81

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sure this has been asked a million times...but...what is the best way to get black buttercream, esp if I don't have powdered black.
TIA
Sandi

5 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

If you have an air brush that's what I would do instead of coloring the bc. It's funny when people eat deep colored icing and get the colored mouth look icon_lol.gif If you don't have one I've heard you can get the spray stuff at Hobby Lobby.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 6

I cheat....I buy a can of Pillsbury frosting, put it in a large bowl. I add Wilton black to it until it looks dark black. Then I start adding powdered sugar until I get it the consistency I want. When I took the cake decorating classes, that is what my instuctor did....and she owned a bakery in NYC for 20 years.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 6

It is easier to get black by first starting with brown icing (either colored brown or chocolate) and then adding black color.
I agree with raquel1, if it is for a large part of the cake, use an airbrush or the edible sprays.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 6

I have never tried it but after reading other posts about in the past I would start with dark chocolate or chocolate frosting, so you use less black.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 6

I personally start with dark chocolate icing, and add the black coloring from there. I have found that the more gel coloring you use the funnier the taste of the icing. And of course, people don't end up with black teeth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%