Vanilla Strawberry Swirl Cake?

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 11 May 2010 , 5:24pm by 7yyrt

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone. I have a friend whose daughter wants a strawberry- vanilla swirl cake. I would rather not make my white cake batter and strawberry cake batter as i will have tons of leftover strawberry cake batter. Can I swirl strawberry puree or something into the white cake batter? Will that affect how it bakes? Thanks for any suggestions!

6 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 7

Could you use a LorAnn oil in strawberry?
Keep an amount aside, and put the strawberry flavor and some coloring in and swirl.
That way you needn't worry about it sinking if your batter is somewhat thick.

Swirling preserves in will give you a 'sad' streak. Personally I like that but many don't.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-495646.htmld Just found this but I plan on it, sounds delish! 7yyrt suggested Lorann's strawberry but I have this and tried it in royal icing and I think it tastes very chemically (if that's a word, lol) HTH

Oops that should say haven't tried icon_redface.gif

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 7

I do it all the time and it shouldn't bother your cake. Or atleast my recipe handles it fine.

7yyrt Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 7

I remember adding a whole package of Jello for a cake and it was terrible!
Some ladies suggested I try a half package, and that was fine; but I'm wondering if taking "1 1/3 cup of the batter out add 1/2 box strawberry jello" will be rubbery again, as that is a great deal of Jello to cake batter.

Do you find adding that much Jello makes it rubbery? Has anyone tried it?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

I wonder if you were using a pillsbury mix that has pudding already in it? that's the only time it came out rubbery for me. Using generic cake mix or DH cake mix works fine adding a whole box of pudding.

I make a "strawberry ribbon" cake where I bake my white cake for about 10 minutes, (just til it starts rising but hasn't browned on top) and then I open the oven and squirt a ribbon of strawberry sleeve filling over the top of the whole cake. As the cake bakes is slowly sinks down in some spots making a perfect "swirly ribbon" of strawberrry through the cake. The sleeve filling thickens up as it gets hot too so when you cut into it it's almost like a layer of jelly in there, hard to explain but really yummy!

My favorite is a raspberry ribbon through chocolate cake, you almost can't see it in there so it's a really cool surprise when you eat it! yUMmY!

7yyrt Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7

That might be it, Pillsbury is the one I buy most often.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%