Baking A Ring Into A Cake

Decorating By shebaben Updated 12 May 2010 , 1:19am by shebaben

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

Please tell me how to bake a "plastic, gumball machine ring" (bride's mother's words!) into a cake for the bridesmaids' luncheon!!! Everything I can think of sounds toxic! Couldn't I just bake the cake, cut out a plug, insert the ring, and replace the plug, using cake spackle if necessary???? Thanks everyone! PAT

5 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:42am
post #2 of 6

Thats what I would do. I sometimes use an apple corer to double check if my cakes are done. it brings it out perfectly and I can use it to plug it back up!! LOL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:40am
post #3 of 6

I second that - I would just place it into the cake after it was baked. Although quite honestly I'd be concerned about whether a cheap pleastic ring itself is safe to be inside of food but that's a whole 'nother thread icon_biggrin.gif. Then again I used to go to parties where they'd dump silly plastic toys in the drink so I doubt it's any big deal icon_rolleyes.gif.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 6

I agree! I would absolutely do it that way!! I can just picture baking a plastic ring in a cake and someone biting in and getting a little blob of plastic goo!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 6

Baking the cake and inserting the baby from underneath is the standard procedure for Mardi Gras King cakes. The babies are usually gold, green or purple metallic coated plastic.

The main thing is making sure she doesn't swallow whatever you put in there. At least with King cakes, everyone is looking for the baby in their piece.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much, friends...I appreciate the reference to king cakes, because that was one of the first topics I searched. The apple corer is a great idea - I never would have thought of that! I will ust insert it after baking; that way it really won't be there long enough to become really nasty! Food safety is certainly an issue, but I don't think this will constitute a major problem. (and yes, they will know to look for it...) Thanks again...PAT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%